Distinguishing different cresteds

A

aaron

I've recently aquired 12 crested newts. They are not in breeding dress and they aren't karelinii. I know that they can be cristatus, carnifex, or dobrogicus. They are from Ukraine. What i'm looking for is a way to distinguish the different types outside of the breeding season. Thanks,

~Aaron

Hi Aaron,

Well, I guess they are most likely T. cristatus.

T. dobrogicus is pretty unlikely and you can't mistake them for anything else because they are _really_ slender...

Without first-hand experience with all taxa, a scientific indentification isn't possible, especially with few live specimens. However, have a look at the nice pics from the following paper which may help you to try some educated guesses...
Arntzen, J. W. & G. P. Wallis. 1999. Geographic variation and taxonomy of crested newts (Triturus cristatus superspecies): morphological and mitochondrial DNA data. Contributions to Zoology, 68 (3): 181-203.
(This paper was available online but the old URL doesn't work - I'll check it out and post it ASAP.)

Best wishes,
kai

Hi.

If they're really from the Ukraine, then they are
either karelinii (which you've dismissed), cristatus or dobrogicus. dobrogicus has a very limited range in the Ukraine (see my map at
http://www.darkwave.org.uk/~caleb/tricri.html),
so it's most likely to be cristatus.

cristatus and karelinii are often exported from the Ukraine, but I've never heard of dobrogicus being exported.

karelinii usually have yellow/orange and black throats, carnifex and cristatus have black with white speckling. carnifex females almost always have a yellow stripe along the back, males sometimes do. In terms of bulkiness, karelinii>cristatus>carnifex>dobrogicus.

Hope that helps

I must apologise Caleb - your link submission slipped through the cracks. I have now added it.

I'm sure they aren't karelinii because I already have a pair of them, and they are nothing alike. These new cresteds are a very dark greyish brown with black spots(spots are similar to karelinii) and they have the white flecks of color on the lower regions. They have school-bus yellow colored bellies with black spots.

~Aaron

Kai, I was just wondering if you ever found that link. Thanks,

~Aaron

Sorry, forgwet about it. I'll try next week - please remind me if necessary.

happy.gif

kai

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back