Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Necturus in Florida

coolkraitcalvin

Reaction score
So these past few weeks I've been very confused by some publications regarding Necturus in Florida. In Ray E. Ashton Jr's book "Handbook of Reptiles and Amphibians of Florida: Part Three the Amphibians" he says that N. Alabamensis is in Florida, which obviously isn't true, since they only occur in the Upper Black Warrior River. Then, in "Salamanders of the Southeast" by J. Whitfield Gibbons, he lists that no Necturus is in Florida, but shows a picture of a beyeri from Wakulla Co. Fl. The Peterson guides even list that there are no Necturus in Florida. Is there some kind of controversial matter over this, so they just decided to leave Necturus out of Florida completely?

otolith

Reaction score
Did a few minutes of google research and it seems like N. beyeri is very well documented on the Florida panhandle (Wakulla co is included within their range map on the iucn site). Doesn't seem like there is much debate, just some sloppy editing in those publications.

coolkraitcalvin

Reaction score
Did a few minutes of google research and it seems like N. beyeri is very well documented on the Florida panhandle (Wakulla co is included within their range map on the iucn site). Doesn't seem like there is much debate, just some sloppy editing in those publications.

Yeah, I did some more googling and it seems they're also not very certain on the exact taxonomy of the water dogs in Florida. They come off as a different ssp\sp.

Sith the turtle

Reaction score
Just as confusing, Inaturalist says lesser sirens range through Texas, Louisiana, Mississippi, Arkansas, Missouri, Illinois, Indiana, and parts of Michigan and Wisconsin, as well as the other southern states. What's even stranger, it says that the sirens inhabit most of Georgia, except for the northwestern portion, and not just the costal plain. I thought they lived only on the costal plain there in GA, but just goes to show, you can't really trust everything you read or see

Sith the turtle

Reaction score
Yeah, it also says that Necturus beyeri lives in Georgia too, and by that I don't mean just one population, the entire state is essentially in it's range too. I wouldn't be surprised if it did, but the entire state? I doubt it

coolkraitcalvin

Reaction score
Yeah, it also says that Necturus beyeri lives in Georgia too, and by that I don't mean just one population, the entire state is essentially in it's range too. I wouldn't be surprised if it did, but the entire state? I doubt it

What were you reading? Even in "North American Amphibians" it says there are no water dogs in Florida, and as previously stated they are commonly found there.
I've never noticed the misinformation on lesser siren ranges, I'll have to look into that.

pierson_hill

Reaction score
Here is the best summary of Florida Necturus you're going to find right now (from the Atlas of Amphibians and Reptiles in Florida by Krysko, Enge, and Moler).

Attachments

• Necturus_FL.JPG
    Necturus_FL.JPG
    120.3 KB · Views: 440

Sith the turtle

Reaction score
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!