Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

How to best feed frozen bloodworms

Molch

Reaction score
I'd like to poll all of ya how you do this:

With my fire belly newts, I have a system: they are so very tame after all these years that I simply lift each of them in his own private mini container w. a cube of bloodworms and let them eat away while I clean their tank.

However, the alpine newts are a bit more shy and would like to find their worms in their tank on their own time.

So here my Q's (I guess they go for chopped earthworms or frozen daphnia as well):

- if you put frozen bloodworms in their tank, do you put them in a jar/saucer, or just on the tank bottom?

- how long can you leave the worms in there safely before you have to vacuum off all the uneaten ones?

- also, in general, how often do you actually feed your newts?

Tudor

Reaction score
Well, with all my newts I do like this:
I put cubes of bloodworm it the water of the tank (if the newts are aquatic). When the bloodworm are defrosted, then will fall to the bottom of the tank. If we talk about terrestrial newts or salamanders, I always defrost the bloodworm primary to feed the animals.
I feed my animals in the morning, and in afternoon I remove all uneaten food.

wickedzik

Reaction score
My Cynops Orientalis eats bloodworms from a feeding dish which is at the bottom of their enclosure. I personally prefer serving it with a dish so it won't be hard for me to get the leftovers(if there are.)

I always put it in a small cup first, leaving it thawed after a few minutes. Then I grab a chunk with a tweezer, make sure you get a good grip so it won't break apart when it hits the water, slowly submerge the chunk of bloodworms in the water for an inch or two(slow enough for the bloodworms not to scatter as it submerges), then release the grip of the tweezer and you'll see that the bloodworms will slowly fall inside the dish.

evut

Reaction score
You can defrost the cube on a piece of tissue first so that it catches the juices. I find defrosting them first better because the frozen cube floats around the tank and the worms go everywhere. I didn't use a dish when the tank had no substrate and there were never any leftovers. Now with sand in the tank I use a terracotta saucer. Some people use individual jars (placed sideways) for each newt which is probably better because the they always throw lots of the bloodworms out of the shallow dish.
I clean when the newts stop eating. Mostly there isn't anything to clean.

Regarding frequency, I feed 2-3 times a week, depending on the shape of the newts. If it's bloodworms then my 4 C.pyrrhogaster get 1 cube. In warmer weather the newts' metabolism works faster so they should eat more often.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1