Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Question: Why does my Axolotl have only 1 gill on it's right side?

HSuzara

Reaction score
I have JUST got my little axolotl for Christmas, it's a golden one, and I noticed when we got him/her in the tank, that he/she had only one gill on it's right side, and a full set on it's left... :confused: Could it be that it's Tank mates in the shop had nibbled them off? If that is so, will they grow back? Or would it be some genetic deformity? I would really like to know so I can stop worrying, thank you :D

sirnewt

Reaction score
They should grow back if it isn't a genetic defect. Make sure you don't have ANY fish in the tank and a little time and good husbandry should fix it

mewsie

Reaction score
How lovely! Merry Christmas for you eh!

The gills should grow back, my little one Albi had all his legs and gills missing when I rescued him, I'm assuming his tank mates were to blame.

Nice clean water and lots of yummy healthy food and hopefully they'll grow back in a few weeks.

Remember to post some photos for us ^_^

HSuzara

Reaction score
Thank you!!

So I have no need to worry, thank goodness.
No there is no fish with it so, safe I'm there ;)

Yes I will try and get a photo, I'll have to steal someones camera xD

Thank you both heaps!

Have a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year :D

SwissAxie

Reaction score
Hey,

I would just observe that side to make sure nothing fungal is growing on the lesion if it was nibbled off.
Be sure your water is VERY clean. And have a good look at those gills every day.

Happy New Year to you, too :)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!