Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

A little tip for anyone using live bloodworms

AngieD

Reaction score
I had terrible problems with bloodworms for a while, due to difficulties changing the water (and they got stuck in the net I tried using.

The solution:

When you want to change the water, put them in a narrow, tall vessel (I use the old sea monkey tank). The live ones and some dead ones sink to the bottom, and the other dead ones float on the surface. It makes it really easy to tip out a load of old, stinking water.
When adding the clean water, I've noticed it usually churns up the worms at the bottom and makes some more of the dead ones start floating at the top, so they can get tipped out too.

Keeping my room from stinking is a lot easier now :happy:

Just thought I'd supply this tip in case anyone else had trouble changing water for bloodworms

Reaction score
I have noticed an easy way to get live bloodworms out of my rainwater barrel. If you put a resonably smooth tree branch in the night before the all seem to stick to it and can be pulled out with it and washed off into a bowl. This may work on a small scale to sort the dead ones out for you. regards KB

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!