Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Illness/Sickness: Axolotl is Floating

Wyvell

Reaction score
Hey guys,
a week or so ago my axolotl was floating and not eating much so I put him in the fridge, after a few days he was looking really healthy and was eating again so I've transferred him back to his tank. Last night he looked fine but today he is floating again. My girlfriend works at Petco so we do water tests regularly and everything seems to be fine. We have a piece of mesh that the filter water trickles down and into the water to cut down flow, the bottom of the tank is sand and the temperature is 64 degrees F. what could be making him float? do I need to fridge him again?

Paarthurnax

Reaction score
Hey guys,
a week or so ago my axolotl was floating and not eating much so I put him in the fridge, after a few days he was looking really healthy and was eating again so I've transferred him back to his tank. Last night he looked fine but today he is floating again. My girlfriend works at Petco so we do water tests regularly and everything seems to be fine. We have a piece of mesh that the filter water trickles down and into the water to cut down flow, the bottom of the tank is sand and the temperature is 64 degrees F. what could be making him float? do I need to fridge him again?

How often and what do you feed him? He could be eating air bubbles if you are feeding him floating food. If not, I'd try the fridge again. ;)

Wyvell

Reaction score
We feed him frozen blood worms and frozen brine shrimp. Occasionally frozen beefheart. We also give him earth worms but he doesn't seem to like them unless I put them in hot water first. I think he dislikes the slime coat. We feed all of this either by hand or with a turkey baster.

Wyvell

Reaction score
Today the axolotl is eating normally but I've noticed 2 very very small redish orange bumps on the top edge of his tail. Ive been looking up what this might be and I cant seem to find anything about it. They are really tiny so I can't get a good picture but they are sitting on the skinny top edge of his tail fin. I am worried they may be a fungus or something like that. I have not been able to test my water in a few days so I hope it isn't something like an ammonia burn.. I'm really not sure what I'm looking at. His legs seem to be a bit weak lately and he has been hiding/not being social like my other one. I added a bubbler today and we are adding more plants to the tank soon. Maybe even a couple of ghost shrimp. I just feel so bad for the little guy. He has been struggling ever since he got to our LFS.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!