Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

HELP frog having seizure

Chelsie08

Reaction score
I was just about to feed my frog and he jumped out of his water dish excited and then started shaking and twitching now he can move what do I do

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chelsie08

Reaction score
He's able to walk again but now he's sitting in his water dish with his legs shaking and twitching like he can't control them and his belly is unusualy round and hard like he's constipated I've have this frog for 2 years and don't want to lose him how can I help him (He's a young wood frog)

Chelsie08

Reaction score
e957955398def21e88c0a917211e1ea6.jpg

michael

2010 Research Grant Donor
Reaction score
What kind of frog? Do you give it vitamins and calcium? It could be a nutritional deficiency. Try some calcium and vitamins on it's back in the water. Supplement the food by dusting if you don't already.

Chelsie08

Reaction score
What kind of frog? Do you give it vitamins and calcium? It could be a nutritional deficiency. Try some calcium and vitamins on it's back in the water. Supplement the food by dusting if you don't already.

It's a wood frog (Lithobates sylvaticus). I do dust his food with calcium and vitamin. As for putting it on his back, would I just put the powder on his skin? That won't hurt him for anything?

michael

2010 Research Grant Donor
Reaction score
directly on its back with a light mist is for quick absorption if you suspect deficiency. Dusting the food should be adequate.

salvoz

Reaction score
A calcium deficiency would be my first guess too. I'd suggest dusting food with Repashy Calcium Plus. Very good stuff and has a bit of Vitamin A in it as well.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!