Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

WC Larvae, A opacum?

croxall

Reaction score
I was in Ohio (near the OH/PA/WVA border) and caught a few salamander larvae with various levels of gills still present. I have tried to key them out as best as i can, but i am not sure if i have the correct id or if what i think they are is even possible at this time of year. I believe they are A. opacum. They look very similar to larvae i have found online. They were caught in a small cow pond that doesn't dry up completely, but it is surrounded by hills on all sides. I collected larvae from this pond years ago and they were later thpught to be A. maculatum (they had yellow spots after morphing, though i never really looked into their id, this just seems to fit best). I will post pics in a few days when i get home, but here's a description if it helps (hopefully): they are all between 1 and 2 inches, have tails that extend past the halfway point of their back, and have rows of light dots on their sides- one halfway between the backbone and demarkation between the side and belly, and another row on the line between the sides and belly. Their bellies are also very pale in color. If any other characteristics would help with the id, please ask. I'll get pics as soon as i have access to a decent camera. thanks in advance for an advice you can give me.

Last edited:

Nathan

Reaction score
The double-row of "porthole" markings is a typical A. opacum character. They also usually have some dark stippling on the throat, while A. maculatum usually have a plain throat. I have found larvae of both species well into August down here in TN.

A. opacum and A. maculatum are often found in the same ponds, so you may have collected either species previously. Did your metamorphs have a double row of spots, or scattered spots? A. opacum metamorphs often have scattered spots for a while, which eventully fuse to form the adult pattern. A. maculatum more quickly transition from the drab larval pattern to the typical adult pattern.

croxall

Reaction score
Here are some pictures of the salamanders. The last one shows on of two that have nearly lost their gills, They are much darker than the ones with their gill still present. The more mature ones look more like A. maculatum, especially with the flash. The white spots i noted earlier are all but impossible to see here. The camera I was using didn't have the best macro setting....

croxall-albums-young-wc-salamanders-picture11490-cimg2569.jpg

croxall-albums-young-wc-salamanders-picture11491-cimg2570.jpg

croxall-albums-young-wc-salamanders-picture11489-cimg2560.jpg

croxall-albums-young-wc-salamanders-picture11487-cimg2553.jpg

croxall-albums-young-wc-salamanders-picture11488-cimg2558.jpg

Jennewt

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Based on the last photo, I would guess A. maculatum. I can even see some yellow spots starting to develop.

croxall

Reaction score
Yeah, I agree with you now. Those 2 were darker than the rest, but I think it may have been because they were older or more mature. The mention of no pigmentation on the throat of A. maculatum describes the whole group (a total of 7 individuals). Thanks for your input.

Greatwtehunter

Reaction score
Those are for sure A. maculatum.

A. opacum would have already morphed back in May or early June at the latest.

croxall

Reaction score
After looking into it more, I agree with you, Justin. The breeding habits that I read about A. opacum just doesn't fit the pond or the time that I found them. I was hoping that they would be marbleds, though. They are eating a lot and doing well so I can't really ask for more.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1