Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Deworming Procedure

manderkeeper

Reaction score
After suffering through the ordeals of forcing open their mouths, I have settled on a protocol I believe will work well for larger fire salamanders that are eating.

Supplies:
Syringe with appropriate scale ( I obtained these from my vet)
22 Gauge needle, 1" long (I obtained these from a farm supply store, I had to ask for them)
3/4 grown or larger cricket
Feeding tongs

I fill up the syringe just a touch over the desired dosage, lock the needle in place, and push the needle into the abdomen of the cricket, slowly releasing the panacur into the cricket. I have found the crickets will remain active on the tongs for plenty of time to initiate a feeding response. IMO this is better than dusting because you can deliver a fairly exact dosage and while probably not quite as good as direct delivery, it avoids the trauma or forcing the animals mouth open which can be done incorrectly (I know from first hand experience, fortunately no lasting harm was done!).

BabySinclair

Reaction score
Friggen brilliant! :eek: :D :D

I haven't had a problem yet (knock on wood)
But if I ever have to give antibiotics or any injectables, this is how I'm going to do it. I even think this would work for axolotls. Put the vet prescribed antibiotic inside a earth worm. This is going in my notebook for "oh sh*t" moments!!
Thank you!!!
:eek: :D :kiss: :blush: :D

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!