Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

What is the best axolotl food?

Axie123

Reaction score
I know lots of people have Axolotls, but im wondering which food would they enjoy eating most & also which is both practical to keep and easy to feed.

Thoughts & your own choices please :)

lea

Reaction score
I feed mine earthworms(are the best cause they have everything your axie needs), frozen bloodworms, pellets, sometimes mealworms(head crushed of course), live blackworms, beefheart(sometimes)

iheartaxie

Reaction score
worms worms worms.
Axies love them
very nutritious
And I have a veg patch so I just dig some up when I fancy...

BIGBODYBEAR

Reaction score
Sounds like my big axie is the only one who doesnt like worms :( , eats everything but worms

MASTER G

Reaction score
its hard to find tiny earth warms.
i have 9 baby axolots about 1" to 1.5" and they love warms

Jennewt

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Mine neither! Can try all the washing and chopping up I like but the slightest whiff and he turns and flees for his cave :crazy:
It sounds to me like you are trying the wrong kind of worms. The red wiggler type of worms actually do give off a nasty smell that will turn off most newts and sals. The right kind of worms are the gray-colored ones from your garden, or the big gray nightcrawlers that are sold as bait.

BIGBODYBEAR

Reaction score
i am using trout worms , is there another one i might be able to use?

Jennewt

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Trout worms and red worms both have the funky smell. Some animals will take them, but a picky eater won't. Get Canadian nightcrawlers or mini-crawlers (they sell them at Walmart and bait shops). If necessary, cut them. For starters, try offering just the tail tip piece, it wiggles for a long time.

River Song

Reaction score
My axolotls eat only beef heart. Is that ok, or are they missing out on captain things that they need?

pestey

Reaction score
ok i'm new but I have already fed mine Wax worms, meal worms, and a variety of frozen foods. and lets say........... they love the worms especially the wax's

JayFaye

Reaction score
River Song, from what I've seen beef heart isn't the best staple food for axolotls. It's good for an occasional treat though. Not to mention they don't usually prey on wild cows...! haha
I generally feed mine frozen bloodworm cubes, and I recently bought freeze dried brine shrimp cubes with seem to be fantastic. :)

Tillypup

Reaction score
once i got over the Chopping part mine love Wormies
tho they now do Battle with bigger ones so fun to watch them wrestle lol

can you ever over feed an axie ?

Jennewt

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
The problem with beef heart is that it has zero vitamins and minerals. This will cause problems in the long run.

saints78

Reaction score
hi guys i am going away for a week and i am wondering whats the best food to feed tham while i am away my friend will feed tham but i am not sure if she will feed them earth warms i was plannig to put feeder fish in the tank but not sure

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!