Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Question: Axolotl has dirty mouth, sick?

LunaandArte

Reaction score
Hello fellow axie owners! Have become quite concerned about my axolotl Luna recently as he has formed a bit of brown discolouration around his mouth. Initially, wasn't too concerned as I thought this may be like how their feet brown a bit once they mature. I wouldn't say the colouration has got worse but on closer inspection it seems as though it could be something else perhaps a bit more serious - maybe fungal? I'm really not sure.

Luna is roughly 1 and a half years old, roughly 25cm in length and lives with my other axie Artemis in a filtered tank. He seems to be eating okay and hasn't shown any signs of stress/discomfort having these markings. Water temp has been between 18°C and 20°C for the last couple of weeks due to rising temperatures as summer kicks off in the UK.

See attached photos. When taking these, I did notice that the colouration looks almost exactly the same as the other brown spots across his head so perhaps its just part of his pigmentation? Never seen it go across a mouth before though :confused:

Attachments

• IMG_7932.jpg
    IMG_7932.jpg
    858.7 KB · Views: 442
  • IMG_7935.jpg
    IMG_7935.jpg
    416.8 KB · Views: 528

Hayleyy

Reaction score
Is he a dirty leucistic? I'm not sure how much their colouring changes, especially once mature.
Fungus will be fluffy and white so keep an eye out for that.
See if you can get some clearer photos.Use either a tank light, or open a blind for daylight.
If you don't have one already, an aquarium or desk fan will drop your tank to the perfect amount :)
Also the markings make it look like he has eyebrows! Adorable!

LunaandArte

Reaction score
Thank you for getting back to me so fast! Got some better lit photos this morning. I must say they have made me a lot more worried. I think I may have scared myself a bit by looking at cases of axolotls morphing but hes starting to look a bit like it :( his pink pigment looks a lot paler and heading towards that same browny colour under the light and I’ve noticed the same brown patches (just smaller) on each back leg. The tank looks much dirtier than I thought it was too, particularly on the inner side of the glass as you can see in the images. Planning on doing a thorough cleanup asap + uptodate water tests. Feel very guilty this hasn’t been noticed - been distracted of late due to ALevel exams and haven’t given these guys as much attention as I should have. The brown also clearly looks different to that pigment in these shots.

Attachments

• 7DE70CD0-1379-40A7-AAD0-95E1DE690A7F.jpg
    7DE70CD0-1379-40A7-AAD0-95E1DE690A7F.jpg
    247.9 KB · Views: 251
  • E755A072-CA63-453B-8122-85AB5C23C1FF.jpg
    E755A072-CA63-453B-8122-85AB5C23C1FF.jpg
    301.7 KB · Views: 258

LunaandArte

Reaction score
After having a bit of time to calm down and consider what else might be the problem, come to think of it Luna does spend half her time rubbing up against the tank walls - perhaps its algae thats rubbed off? FYI just done a water change + scrubbed round the inner glass.

LunaandArte

Reaction score
Update: Axies fed, ate fine however the brown stuff didn’t come off when attempting to rub it off :/ Guess its not algae

RoreyRoreyRorey

Reaction score
Unless it starts swelling, spreading, and/or turning red, I don’t think I would worry about it. It seems like it just is coloring. If you are really worried about it, you could definitely take that cutie to a vet to make sure it isn’t anything serious.

LunaandArte

Reaction score
Hello everyone, been a while! I doubt many people will see this post again however incase anyone does, the colouring was likely just pigment. Following the last posts I made, the tank was quite extensively cleaned out and water changed frequently to get the levels of amonia, nitrates etc down to their optimum level (they weren’t high in the first place, but not completely perfect). I don’t know whether that helped the problem (if the pigment change was even a problem in the first place) but it certainly did the tank a lot of good and ensured the water quality was okay. Since then, what i assume to be pigment has gone down and is a lot less obvious than before - looks more natural so I would assume everything is okay :D Thanks to everyone who posted replies.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1