Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

why are people so serious about their newts?

How many answers (on average) do you feel are snippy or rude?

• Less than 10%

Votes: 79 59.0%
  • 20% - 40%

Votes: 28 20.9%
  • 40% - 60%

Votes: 17 12.7%
  • 60% - 80%

Votes: 5 3.7%
  • 80% or higher

Votes: 5 3.7%

• Total voters

koala

Asian Newt Group
Reaction score
I am not trying to say this in a mean way at all, and I'm not sure what category this would fall under, but why do some people almost live for their newts? I understand that newt and salmander well-being is important, but some people take it too far, and sometimes they are very rude and make people feel like they don't know what they're talking about. Do you understand what I mean?

Abrahm

Reaction score
Why do baseball fans drive three states over to watch their team play? Why do dog owners spend more time making their dogs dinner than they do their own?

Most of us here have a passion for these animals. There are not something we do just because there is nothing else to do, they are something we thoroughly enjoy. I love to know everything I can about my animals: What they need, how best to house and feed them and all the sundry details of their natural history. To me these animals are a piece of my childhood curiosity, a reminder of past years and a symbol for ecological fragility and how we can assist the environment.

Caudata.org has no interest in making people feel ignorant or in being rude. We try to correct those problems when they come along but it is our priority to promote good newt and animal care. Sometimes we have to be a little frank to do so.

freves

Reaction score
Abraham is right koala. The people here take the responsibility of caring for their animals seriously. I think that way too many people in the world view captive animals as token "pets" that entertain as needed. It is important to remember that whether it be a newt, fish, cat, etc these are living animals and not barbie dolls and that we have the responsibility to provide them with the best possible care. This is especially true with most reptiles and amphibians because in the majority of cases the animal has been removed from the wild. I hope that you have not been offended by any of the responses to your posts but way too often "newbies" post first and read (maybe) later. After a while it becomes tiresome answering the same questions over and over again when most of the information is easily available by browsing the caudata culture articles or by reading through old threads. Also I hope that I have never come off as "snippy" but if I have then please accept my apologies.
Chip

dane_zu

Reaction score
oops i voted wrong........I find some of the time some people just cant get it through their heads that a newt is harder to take care of then originaly thought and most answers need to be taken seriously because it could mean life or death in a short period of time

Jake

Reaction score
I live for my newts! I'd take a bullet for an axolotl any day! (not that anyone is sick enough to shoot a salamander)

I've always had an interest in salamanders and newts, and the more time I spend with them and learning about them, the more I become addicted to them in a sense. Some people just have passions for different things, and mine (along with most caudata.org members) is for caudates. They are amazing creatures, and we still have plenty to learn from them.

Foster is right in that you can just do a search through caudata culture to find what you're looking for. A lot of people buy these animals because they're "cool", which I agree with entirely, but most people don't fully understand what they're getting into before they get the animal. Most of the questions could be answered simply by researching BEFORE you buy/aquire!

newtsrfun

Reaction score
The key thing to remember is this:

This is not a saltwater reef forum. People here posting in the "help" section have not spent close to a grand on their new pets, therefore it is imparative that we showcase the inportence of providing the no holds barred care that newts require, even if they were only 5 bucks to begin with.

Abrahm

Reaction score
The key thing to remember is this:

This is not a saltwater reef forum. People here posting in the "help" section have not spent close to a grand on their new pets, therefore it is imparative that we showcase the inportence of providing the no holds barred care that newts require, even if they were only 5 bucks to begin with.

This is very true. Most often people will look at the cost of their newt or salamander and say that is how much the animal is worth. They will treat a pair of $100 dollar T. shanjing with much more care than the $5 dollar Cynops orientalis they got at the local pet store.

For most of us here these animals have an intrinsic value that is far greater than their simple monetary value. When I got my first newt, a Pachytriton labiatus I spent over a hundred dollars on supplies and I would gladly do the same. This is a living animal I agreed to take care of and I should do the best I can. We have to show people in a money oriented society that even cheap pets deserve proper care and respect.

That said, if people are being outright rude feel free to contact either that person or a moderator. You could use the report button if you think people are being out of line. We don't want to create an unwelcoming atmosphere. It is our goal to have people come here and be educated.

Jennewt

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Koala,

Here is a recent post that I'm pasting here from another thread:
Hi Benny,
I'd like to reassure you that you have come to the right place! I started keeping caudates three months ago (paddletails, but I now also have a fire salamander) and I have found this site to be an indespensible source of advice, support and encouragement. In my limited experience just about any question on caudate care recieves a helpful reply. I have asked the most basic questions , ones that must make the hardened enthusiasts on here roll their eyes, but never yet have i been shot down in flames or cooled out.
Certainly, we do our best to NOT shoot anyone down in flames. But the replies you get won't always be sugar-coated. We tell it like it is, and sometimes that may come across as "snippy".

trincan

Reaction score
here is my late night rant on the "rudeness"

I think for me, seeing all my hard wark that goes in to tank set ups, feeding, care, maintenece, not to mention money and time, turn out successful is the whole point of keeping caudates, or any pet for that matter. The point of the website is to share information, and make sure it is valued and tested and true info. Not a "blind leading the blind" web-site, John and all the moderators do a great job of making sure this is...an authority web site. I would much rather have a correction or urging suggestion regarding something I as a (slightly experienced ;) beginner may need, or could put to use. Bottom line: people take it so seriously because it is not just pet keeping. It is not only a hobby. It is not only a pastime. For some people it is a science, a way of life, and for people like me it is a kickass way to learn about salamanders and improve my knowledge so maybe one day I can keep t. shanjig (or some othe difficult species i would be to amateur for). If you are a part of the site, take advantage, ask questions, get great insightful advice and listen, apply what you are given.
The cockiness, or "rudeness" so to speak, may sound cocky because everything is written instead of being said aloud, allowing no area for tone, or concern or general verbal ease. But, to each their own, how one perceives information to another will always be different.

marineiguana

Reaction score
take a breath....

Ok... so you live for your newts and salamanders, what gets me is that I bet that most of you don't care for the well being of other animals. How about that chicken or cow that was raised in inhumane conditions and killed for your pleasure? Everyone has different priorities, "let him who is without sin cast the first stone". Be respectful to those who have little or no knowledge these animals, they may lead more saintly lives then you in other areas.

MRIGUY

Reaction score
Hmm

I'm not seeing your point here. I respect your opinion and you have every right to it but I believe your view of the issue is a little naive. Your point is that we care for our newts but still eat meat and wear leather, oh and sin, let's not forget that one. We are all on this board because we share a common interest in caudates and offer our experience and time to anyone who asks. I am no expert but I have yet to see anyone treated harshly. This appears to be your first post. Now maybe you have been just listening in for a few years and learning all there is to know about all of us, but I find your judgemental attitude a bit offensive. Welcome to the board and please get to know us before you try to tell us how to live our lives.

Jake

Reaction score
Kelly B.- I kind of see what you mean.
No offense, but I for one, think axolotls would taste excellent with tartar sause, but I love them more than any other caudate...ask almost anyone! I'm not above eating one if I was hungry and earth ran out of other animals, and I'm definitely not above eating a chicken, dog, cat, rabbit, cockroach, cricket, or pretty much anything that breathes, exept for endangered and protected species, and spiders. I've known several farmers who have animals that they favor and keep from slaughter, but that doesn't mean they don't send that favorite pig or goat's sibblings to the slaughter house. People are omnivores, this means we eat meat and vegetation. There are far too many people around to be eating wild animals, if we did, there wouldn't be a plentiful hooved species of animal on the earth any more. We need livestock to feed the world. Please don't try to preach to us about sin because we love newts. I feed deformed axolotls to my sirens, does that mean I'm full of sin too? They won't make it past a few days old, and they're very nutritous. Do you think we're evil for feeding worms to our salamander? Is it wrong for toads to eat beetles in the wild? Behold the beautiful circle of life, it's a constant food chain!

Cheers,
Jacob

P.S. Contrary to what you've been lead to believe, not all livestock animals are mistreated.

People
Eat
Tasty
Animals

I don't mean to be harsh in any way, just brutally honest.

peter81965

Reaction score
I think that 'being serious' about a newt or any other animal is important - just be serious enough to feed it right, keep it right and understand that it's alive, not a toy.
By the way, I have had issues with rude comments, not care related, and I find that the mods deal with these issues quite effectively. I would say that in the few months that i have been visiting this site I have only ever seen two or three wildly innappropriate responses from other members.

digger

Reaction score
hi koala,
i unfortunately do understand what you mean about being made to feel that you do not know what you are talking about.
i think the problem is not so much what is said as the tone it is said in, i myself have encountered such, but to be honest i dont think it is a deliberate attempt to slur people, although at the time it reads that way. i think some people are so used to answering the same old questions that they go onto automatic and dont realise just how horrid some things sound.
i believe i we all took time to reread our posts and looking at them from them the recipitents end we would all find that at some time we had all written something that might come across as snippy.
unfortunately we do not take the time to do this and therefore sometimes people do misinterpret what is really being said.
i think what we all should remember here is, at the end of the day we can only offer advice, this is freely given, if you do not like the answer just remember it cost you nothing other than the time it took to read the reply.

Jennewt

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
i think the problem is not so much what is said as the tone it is said in, i myself have encountered such, but to be honest i dont think it is a deliberate attempt to slur people, although at the time it reads that way. i think some people are so used to answering the same old questions that they go onto automatic and dont realise just how horrid some things sound.
This is very true. Written words often "sound" more harsh than they are intended. (This is why flame wars are so often a problem on the Internet.) If someone spoke the same words, you would have facial expressions, and a bunch of extra blah-blah words to indicate whether they are speaking kindly or curtly. To make a forum post "come across" as kind takes a lot of typing, and it's difficult sometimes to do this.

Alwyn

Reaction score
Also keep in mind that English is not everyone’s first language, thus constructing a sentence and letting it sound ‘polite’ might be more difficult than you think… My first language is Afrikaans so grammar is a problem :D

Just my 2 cents…

peter81965

Reaction score
Also keep in mind that English is not everyone’s first language, thus constructing a sentence and letting it sound ‘polite’ might be more difficult than you think… My first language is Afrikaans so grammar is a problem :D

Just my 2 cents…
Nice observation, Alwyn...
Well, I'm no master of the English language, but I think that It's fair to say that sometimes members who do not have English as a first language put the rest of us to shame with their articulate responses and considerate use of the language. Maybe it's because they have to think before they type? I mean, compare Alwyn's response to some of the smiley infested hoots that one sees on here):lol:

Last edited:

JWERNER

Reaction score
You can never see the face of the other computers operator bud so you cant say that it is always that snippy unless they make it clear.

As far as the question on taking it serious in its own. If we don't act serious no one will take us serious and our information given will be useless. Besides you answered it pretty much in your second sentence, we/you take a responsibility that in which the animal can no longer fend for itself so we must respect that and be as serious as we can about that point.

Are you using the same poll as on the home page? Why?

craig

Reaction score
I'm in the process of trying to buy a house and probably the number one consideration is whether or not the house would be conducive to my salamander's needs. Basically I HAVE to have a basement. My friends think I'm crazy, but I get an immense amount of pleasure watching my animals grow and thrive.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!