Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Baby fire salamanders wont eat

FJD66

Reaction score
Hey can anyone help me? Just got 3 cb baby fire salamanders, feed them wax worms 3 days ago since then they refuse to eat, temp is 60 degress, dont want them to die , help,:(

Bellabelloo

Julia
Staff member
Reaction score
How small are they?
Recently morphed ones will need small food. I fed mine on flightless fruit flies, aphids and small earthworm - cut up if too big.

Will B

Reaction score
Mine, which aren't morphed yet have been eating lots and lots of mosquitoes larva and water snails. I have a chemicals free garden, where I haver several seasonal tiny ponds. At this time of year the mosquitoes larva are abundant, and alive, and the salamanders seem to enjoy both eating and hunting them, and have been growing and seem quite content.
Before feeding, I net a bunch at a time, move them into water with identical chemical composition to that of the sallies (not sure if this is necessary but...) and after some hours feed them.
W

Jennewt

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
That's good info regarding larvae, Will, but the diet after metamorphosis is totally different.

If they ate more than one waxworm each, they may simply not be hungry yet. A whole waxworm is a huge meal for a small morph. The two best foods I would recommend as staples are pinhead crickets and chopped earthworms. Waxworms shouldn't be used often.

merk199

Reaction score
A tip on chopped earthworms is cut it to the appropriate length and spear it on a toothpick. Whenever I have a tricky subject who won't go for the worm spear it and it looks like instant dinner for them. Not sure why but it works....

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1