Tylo buddy not doing too well

MiniraBuster

Reaction score
Country
United States
My newest tylo buddy (T. kweichow) seems to have come with a couple of things :(

the first thing was that it regurgitated the piece of worm that it ate the day before; thankfully it's been its quarantine tank since getting it.

Taking a really close look at him I've noticed he has a small cut under his chest, it looks a few days old so i wonder if I should use neosporin on it or not.

I just checked up on him and I saw that he pooped, but what really alarmed me was that the poop was wiggling around!!! There were about 3 small white worms that could barely be seen if not for my LED flashlight. (its 3am right now)

I've replaced the paper towel substrate and checked to see how he's doing; he's become more active after removing the old paper.

What steps should I take now; I know it's quite a bit of information but my biggest concern is about those worms...:confused:

So I'm just coming back from the vet; Tiger does have parasites and she's prescribed Panacur 100mg/ml and i have to give Tiger 0.05 dose every day. She also asked me to get a fecal sample so she can run an Intestinal Parasite fecal exam. She is happy that he is very active so that's good news.

So now i need to figure out how to give the oral dosage to my Tylo without hurting his mouth is there any suggested way to give newts oral medicine?

So within five minutes after submitting the last post Tiger took a turn for the worst; I rushed him back to the vet and with the sample he left the doctor was able to find one tape worm egg. she said that with what she found and the four that I saw he was really trying to fight off those parasites.

I'm going to email and send a fax to the place i ordered Tiger from to let them know about the parasites because there's an all likely chance that all those Tylos from that place are infected with tape worm.

One lesson I got out of this is to really check to see if the place you order from de-worms their newts and to visit the vet right away once you get a new newt.

One lesson I got out of this is to really check to see if the place you order from de-worms their newts and to visit the vet right away once you get a new newt.

The vet visit is do-able, but most people don't/won't unless the animal gets sick (and by then it's often too late). I'm sure there is not a single vendor out there that de-worms any amphibian prior to sale. The sales model here is to import animals as cheaply as possible and resell them as quickly as possible. To avoid such problems, captive-bred animals are much less likely to have parasites.

Did you figure out how to get the medicine into the newt? The vet should have given you some advice. It's probably easier to undertake with two people.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back