Triggering spawning for a pregnant mama

Egfi224

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Hello,

I have a mama that's looking pretty round (read: huge)! her appetite is ridiculous so I thought she was just fat.. but then I discovered that she isn't quite at the age where they start to fill out and she looks very pregnant! It must be uncomfortable.

I have 2 males in my tank (just discovered this), and two and a half days ago they were the most active I've seen them in weeks! (We had a cold spell overnight). They were chasing her around and pushing her around.. and their bulges were HUGE! However I didn't find and spermatophores and she hasn't laid any eggs yet, so I don't think this attempt was successful on either part.

The males are back to normal but I want babies and I would also like to relieve this fat mama from her eggs!

Is there anything I can do to get them to spawn soon? Like doing a massive water change and replacing the water with slightly colder water? I know that separating them and fridging the female for a few weeks can be effective to get HER ready, but she already has the eggs!

Let me know if there's anything that can be done!

A water change sometimes brings mine on, but it's not guaranteed, they can stay fat for ages.

I hang strips of netting for them to spawn on, they sometimes get the right idea and it helps with harvesting but as often as not they'll do it anywhere and everywhere.
Nature being the way it is, taking the net out sometimes makes them spawn too, lol.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back