Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Question: Axolotls and Direct Lights?

Acacia

Reaction score
Hello!
I've been reading about lights in an axolotl tank, and many people suggest not to have them because of the axolotl's lack of eyelids.

How long would direct light have to be on to harm the axolotl? Could I turn it on for a few minutes or so to get a picture? The room light/indirect sunlight won't hurt the axolotl, right?

Also, (somewhat off topic, you don't have to answer this one) I'm fairly certain fish don't have eyelids, and aquarium lights are often kept on hours on end. What makes direct lights so harmful for axolotls, but not for fish?

Thanks!

Chinadog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
With most strains of Axies I don't think bright lighting is a problem as such, as long as you provide plenty of cover for them to get out of it if they wish. My Axolotls live in a planted tank so the lighting is on all day, but there are rock caves and roots where they can be in almost complete darkness if they feel like it. More often than not, though, they're out in the open or hanging in the plants.
The exception are albinos/golden albinos, they do seem to avoid bright lighting if they can, so if you plan on keeping those it would be best to plan a dimly lit set up.

Acacia

Reaction score
Thanks! I was under the assumption that axolotls despised light and wouldn't tolerate it. It's good to know that I was wrong, though! I'll be sure to provide a ton of shade for my future axies :)

shadowfox306

Reaction score
Another option you could do if you don't have a planted tank is to get fake floating lily pads to filter light a little. A third but slightly expensive option (although completely worth it in my opinion) is a dimmable LED light. Bf and I have one set up on a timer that dims at dusk and gradually increases at dawn plus the preset we have it set to isn't very bright anyway and we have the floating lily pads. Our Banana is spoiled rotten.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!