Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

New Look - Don't Panic

John

Founder
Staff member
Reaction score
I hope you like Caudata.org's new "look", known as a skin. We are still using the same software under the hood, so it has all the same functionality as the old skin. This new look brings with it some subtle usage enhancements, but I'm sure there will be a few people panicking right now because their favourite forum looks like a totally different site. Let me reassure you by saying that, aside from the rearrangement of the menu options at the top of each page, the way around the site hasn't really changed. And if you look through those menus at the top you will find that everything you liked about the old look is still available.

If you're still gripping the desk and contemplating drastic measures, I have a solution. If you go to the bottom of any screen on the forum you will see a pulldown menu beside the language choice menu that will let you choose the old style of the forum! Hurray! Well actually if you take that option you may well miss out on new features that will be added to the shiny new skin. My advice, stick with the new one and it'll grow on you. I've been using the new one for a week and now the old one just seems incredibly clunky.

Hot tip! The old "New Messages" and "New Posts" options have been combined. Now if you click on "New Posts" you'll get new posts since your last login, but if you hover over it instead of clicking, you get all the old skin's "new message" options too.

Any suggestions? Additions to the menus? Let me know.

(PS: If you're looking at this with the old skin then that tip on the new messages won't make sense to you)

John

Founder
Staff member
Reaction score
One other thing I would like to point out - those banners loading at the top right of the page are completely non-commercial.

Ralf

Reaction score
AW: New Look - Don't Panic

I like it. Looks great. :cool:

Yahilles

Reaction score
Re: AW: New Look - Don't Panic

Design is nice but i used to like the dark coloured skin, this one is hitting my eyes with istari-white ;) Too light for me.

Azhael

Site Contributor
Reaction score
My heart almost stopped...jesus christ xD
I´ll need time to adjust, i don´t like change hehe but i think i´m going to like this new look.

xMIDNIGHTx

Reaction score
I was pretty shocked when I first came on like "What is this!?!?" But after realizing that this is the good old site with a new coat of paint I am just loving the new look!

Mitch

John

Founder
Staff member
Reaction score
Only problem is I have a 19 inch screen, and the page does not fit anymore, I have a scrollbar at the bottom. Is there something that can be done about that?
I sympathise but I am sure a 19 inch monitor can do over 1150 pixels wide. In any case, design decisions have to be made to accommodate the majority of users and to compromise as little as possible on aesthetic appeal and usability.

Really? All I get is this error message.

Attachments

• salamanders.nl.jpg
    salamanders.nl.jpg
    103.7 KB · Views: 379

John

Founder
Staff member
Reaction score
Ahh those bookmarks take me back.

John

Founder
Staff member
Reaction score
Now it's loading for me. I don't see the resemblance other than they use a variation on our 8 year old colour scheme of green and orange. I suppose imitation is the sincerest form of flattery :).

Glow

Reaction score
I like it!
Looks cleaner.
It is certainly bright, but if you wear sunglasses - problem solved.:p:p

End

Reaction score
I like it,
I think it's more easy find each sub-section of the forum now, so I personally prefer this version, thank you.

Aimee

Reaction score
I may be a neophobe...perhaps I just need some time to get used to it. I did like the darker background, but I must say that this new look takes strength in its simplicity. The title bar at the top looks great.

It may just be my computer, but loading times seem much longer between pages for me with this new look. Also, I keep getting bumped off with my screen telling me the servers are too busy....are these just a few kinks that are still being worked out?

Bellabelloo

Julia
Staff member
Reaction score
And panic I did!! .....but now I have taken a deep breath and supped a glass of wine all is well.
Like some of others I find the lighter background rather bright, and dare I say it cold...but I can get used to wearing sunglasses ;)
I also have lots of small squares with red crosses in..especially when I was looking at the amazing calender entries.

Last edited:
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!