Gigliolii

Hi all
they are defenately Salamandra gigliolii but as Wouter says not from southern Italy. They probably come from the northern Appennines, the mountains between Tuscany and Emilia.
Francesco

Hi Steve,

nice to see that you got these animals in shape. 45 mm at metamorphosis is small, and than to get them in that condition...that means they have not had any food since their metamorphosis and that for at least a period of a week or two. It is a small miracle they survived.

And I had the same reaction as Wouter; they are not from the south nor from the middle of Italy. And then it is the question if they deserve to be named S. s. gigliolii. For future breeding results always try to get as much information as possible on where your animals come from.

Good luck,

Sergé

Gigliolii Update Feb 5

The guys continue to do fine. Earthworms continue to be by far the food of choise, The smaller ones, not the larger night crawlers, even if cut-up

The largest are now 95 & 90mm, the smaller 75-85. Here are some pictures from today

Attachments

• _MG_3161.jpg
    _MG_3161.jpg
    201.6 KB · Views: 309
  • _MG_3162.jpg
    _MG_3162.jpg
    191 KB · Views: 293
  • _MG_3163.jpg
    _MG_3163.jpg
    187.8 KB · Views: 325
  • _MG_3164.jpg
    _MG_3164.jpg
    200 KB · Views: 292
  • _MG_3165.jpg
    _MG_3165.jpg
    199.2 KB · Views: 306
  • _MG_3166.jpg
    _MG_3166.jpg
    189.9 KB · Views: 267
Though not the Steriotypical image of S.Gigliolli, there beautiful animals non the less, it looks like there now starting to bulk up aswell as grow in length.

And what's the tipical image of young S.s.gigliolii?

Well from my experiance, most of my gigliolli's yellow patterning begins to blotch together once they reach 2 inches, so it seems odd that even after three inches they retain the spotted pattern that would be more closley accociated with something like S.s.Salamandra, (not saying they are S.s.S, just that they look like them)

The look great Steve! I am REALLY surprised the one individual has retained it's orange coloration.

Travis

Hi steve are all these sals related, also like someone else said has that one kept his orange colouration.

Matt

Hi steve are all these sals related, also like someone else said has that one kept his orange colouration.

Matt

I am afraid I have no information as to whether these salamanders are related or not. Yes the orange one has kept his coloration. It is an even consistent orange I doubt that it will change.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back