Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

How would you classify Oro?

Reaction score
Hi All-

How would you classify Oro here? I'm torn between pigmented white or wild? his eyes are a darker red than albinos with a blackish rim not seen in albinos either.

I call him beige and many people on this site have commented that his colour is unusual, so I'd like to know what he is....

Thanks from appreciative newbie.

Attachments

• oro01.jpg
    oro01.jpg
    99.6 KB · Views: 263
  • oro02.jpg
    oro02.jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 647
  • 11092009005.jpg
    11092009005.jpg
    84.2 KB · Views: 660

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
He looks like a very thin, light melanoid.

How much/often do you feed? He looks really skinny.

Reaction score
Thanks guys. Cool- very helpful.

That photo was taken when I first got him, yes, i agree, very skinny. He's fattened up a bit now but he is a very very active axxie. At least 5x more active than axle- he loves to swim- thinking of changing his name to gonzalez, lol. They get fed roughly the same but axle is much more plump. They look full when they're done. I feed them 4-5 times per week.

He also had virtually no gill fluff then, but now they are nice and floaty, and getting longer. I'll post you some pics later so you can see. He's on a nice balanced diet which mainly consists of earthworms now, but also frozen fish cubes for axxies, the occassional mealworm and dried tubifex. Can't get them to eat the bloodworms at all.

The tank parameters are so far perfect. I've also added more rocks and plants which you'll see soon.

Thanks for your help- what does everyone else think?

Jacquie

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I concur with Rayson and Kaysie - I'd say 'melanoid' (as he seems to lack the shiny ring around the pupil of the eye which would identify him as a wildtype).

I have a wildtype of almost the same colour. I've never seen a melanoid of that colour before though - thanks for sharing! It goes without saying that we'd love to see some updated pictures ;).

Reaction score
Got some photos! Check out his foot too, because I'm going on about that in another thread. One of the photos shows markings I didn't even notice!

oh and I took these snaps pre-feed

Attachments

• orosmarkings.JPG
    orosmarkings.JPG
    345.7 KB · Views: 214
  • axleandoro01.jpg
    axleandoro01.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 206
  • tank october 01.jpg
    tank october 01.jpg
    106.4 KB · Views: 209
  • oro01.jpg
    oro01.jpg
    76.1 KB · Views: 200
  • oroandhistoe01.jpg
    oroandhistoe01.jpg
    67.5 KB · Views: 206
  • blurry oro.jpg
    blurry oro.jpg
    68.6 KB · Views: 272
Last edited by a moderator:

Darkmaverick

Site Contributor
Reaction score
With my male axies, i tend to find that they remain quite slim regardless of the amount of food they eat. Male axies also seem 'weaker' constitutionally compared to the females but this is completely my own observation.

oceanblue

Reaction score
I agree the eyes look melanoid but I've got a darkish genetically definite leucistic now 15cm long with a rather similar general look. Oro could be a melanoid leucistic.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!