The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Notices

Vivaria, Enclosures & Product Reviews Landscaping, setup and enclosure-related discussion (vivaria, aquaterraria, aquariums, etc) & also equipment/product reviews.

Old 14th August 2012   #1
Hsu Twins

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: Hsu Twins is an unknown quantity at this point
Default World's 1st/Biggest Paluquarium?

This is what we call a Paluquarium. We're not entirely sure if this is the first time it has been done on this large of a scale, so if anyone has ever done, seen, or heard of this, please let us know. If not, please comment anyway!

Since we may be the first, or one of the few people to ever do this, we thought we would give this sort of tank set-up a name. Since it is (technically) a paludarium inside of an aquarium, we called it a "Paluquarium"!!

The inside paludarium is a 29 gallon.
The outside aquarium is a 65 gallon.

Here are the fish and amphibians that are in the Paluquarium:
-Axolotl
-Ghost/Glass catfish
-GloFish
-Zebra Danios
-Freshwater Angelfish
-Rubber-lip Pleco
-Mickey Mouse Danios
-Dendrobates Tinctorius "Patricia" Dart Frog (inside tank)
-Amazon Milk Tree Frog (inside tank)
-(we used to have a spotted and marbled salamander and a chinese warty newt, but they unfortunately died due to the tremendous heat of this past summer)

The whole project cost $1200+, and an unimaginable amount of effort. Our biggest problem was stopping the inside paludarium from floating!! Even though it is 80+ lbs, the water pressure was more then we ever imagined, and after a couple failures, we did our research and found extreme industrial waterproof glue, called E6100 that did the job well.

Again, please let us know if this has ever been done before, and let us know how you like it!
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8352.jpg
Views:	485
Size:	55.5 KB
ID:	24331

Name:	IMG_8381.jpg
Views:	697
Size:	65.8 KB
ID:	24327

Name:	IMG_8396.jpg
Views:	330
Size:	35.6 KB
ID:	24332

Name:	IMG_8343.jpg
Views:	962
Size:	105.9 KB
ID:	24330

Name:	IMG_8344.jpg
Views:	342
Size:	152.6 KB
ID:	24325

Name:	IMG_8329.jpg
Views:	530
Size:	59.7 KB
ID:	24328

Name:	IMG_8364.jpg
Views:	313
Size:	47.3 KB
ID:	24326

Name:	IMG_8331.jpg
Views:	960
Size:	114.4 KB
ID:	24329

Hsu Twins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th August 2012   #2
ajr104

Nationality:
Rep: ajr104 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: World's 1st/Biggest Paluquarium?

While impressive it is an unusual mix of species from around the world, with very different requirements, and in my opinion a shame you felt the need to include genetically modified fish ('Glofish'). Thankfully these are illegal in the UK.

ajr104 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th August 2012   #3
markcorpus

Nationality:
Rep: markcorpus has a given some bad advice or info, or has behaved inappropriately

Very well done. Thank you for sharing!

markcorpus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th August 2012   #4
Caitie
(Minniechild)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Rep: Minniechild has given consistently excellent advice and informationMinniechild has given consistently excellent advice and informationMinniechild has given consistently excellent advice and informationMinniechild has given consistently excellent advice and information

Looks impressive!
One question: how big is the substrate you've got in with the axolotls? Anything gravel-like not in a bag is NOT suitable for use in an axolotl habitat. If it is gravel, I'd be moving them out immediately to avoid killing them due to impaction, which, for axies kept on gravel is almost inevitable...

Old 15th August 2012   #5
Hsu Twins

Nationality:

We don't have an axolotl in there yet, but we were going to get one very soon, so I included it in the list anyway, but we'll rethink that now! Thanks for the advice

Old 15th August 2012   #6
Jennewt
Administrator

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 97
Comments: 46
Rep: Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11

What is the water temp? That might be another reason to skip the axolotl. The water is likely to be too warm.

Old 15th August 2012   #7
Hsu Twins

Nationality:

The water temperature ranger from around 71 to 76 during different times of the year.

Old 16th August 2012   #8
fried_green_axolotls
(Ghost1)
Banned

Nationality:
Rep: Ghost1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajr104 View Post
While impressive it is an unusual mix of species from around the world, with very different requirements, and in my opinion a shame you felt the need to include genetically modified fish ('Glofish'). Thankfully these are illegal in the UK.
They make very cool display fish. I don't understand the big problem with genetically modified animals if they are just for display. Can just give a "looks great?" Which it does btw....

Ghost1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th August 2012   #9
Natural designs
(asfouts)

Nationality:
Comments: 2
Rep: asfouts has given consistently good advice and informationasfouts has given consistently good advice and informationasfouts has given consistently good advice and information

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost1 View Post
They make very cool display fish. I don't understand the big problem with genetically modified animals if they are just for display. Can just give a "looks great?" Which it does btw....

I think its funny that genetically modified animals are considered wrong by some people but selecting for certain display-type traits in an animal and inbreeding them is not wrong... When the latter causes far more problems and defects than the former...

Anyway that is a very weird, but impressive tank I have never thought of putting a tank inside of a tank.

Old 17th August 2012   #10
ajr104

Nationality:
Rep: ajr104 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by asfouts View Post
I think its funny that genetically modified animals are considered wrong by some people but selecting for certain display-type traits in an animal and inbreeding them is not wrong... When the latter causes far more problems and defects than the former...

Anyway that is a very weird, but impressive tank I have never thought of putting a tank inside of a tank.

I do agree with you in that the uncontrolled inbreeding of animals to get rare traits is just as bad (although also completely different) but if done properly should lead to no defects/problems at all.

In this case the set up is very impressive and natural looking, and in my opinion putting a very un-natural fish into it spoils the look. There are so many stunning species of fish which get overlooked. There are also major ethical and environmental issues to using these fish, hence why they are illegal in most of (if not all of) Europe.

Of course I also think that if I were to showcase on this website some 'Glo-Axolotls' we would be having a very different argument...

ajr104 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th August 2012   #11
Rodrigo
(Azhael)
Site Contributor

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 19
Comments: 2
Rep: Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)

Just because the tank is impressive it doesn´t mean that the choice of inhabitants is automatically beyond criticism.
Genetically modifying animals just for show is unethical, and so is blindly selecting for mutations. Both have negative repercussions on the welfare of captive animals and both are done solely for selfish reasons.
I too am very glad that at least GFP animals are illegal here...and i wish that artifitial selection was at least controlled and welfare standards enforced (but you know....fat chance...).

Please do not get an axolotl nor any other caudates, they are entirely unsuitable for that tank. Housing the salamanders and a newt in there was a very bad decission.
Other than that, very nice looking.....pool?

Useful Links: Caudata Culture | Species Accounts | Care Articles | Newt and Salamander FAQs | Axolotl.org | Axolotl FAQs | Forum Functions.

Non Timetis Messor.
Azhael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th August 2012   #12
Niels D
Field Herper

Nationality:
Rep: Niels D is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNiels D is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNiels D is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNiels D is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNiels D is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNiels D is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNiels D is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNiels D is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNiels D is considered an Authority at Caudata.org

Looks great and love the idea. Don't have an opinion about GFP's, because I know too little about how it works and what the consequences are, except for the fact that there should be no need for them. We've got enough beautiful animals we can keep already.

I can imagine all the effort it costed to make such a paluquarium. Nice work!

P.r.schrenckii/L.laoensis/P.deloustali/P.chinensis/P.guangxiensis/Paramesotriton sp (Roter Warzenmolch)/S.lacertina/Triturus macedonicus/T.dobrogicus macrosoma/T. karelinii/C.e.popei/N.viridescens/P.waltl/C.orientalis
Niels D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th August 2012   #13
Hsu Twins

Nationality:

Thanks for your advice, we've been thinking, and were definitely not going to get it!

Tags
aquarium, axolotl, frog, paludarium, salamander, tank