The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Notices

Axolotl tank set-ups, filters, substrate Discussions on tanks, temperature, filters, gravel, lights etc.

Old 28th April 2013   #1
Layna
(layna)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: layna has given good advice and informationlayna has given good advice and informationlayna has given good advice and information
Default Is this an odd cycle? advice please

So i understand the basics of cycling a tank, i thought i would be good at it this time haha (cycling my second tank)
The only thing that has thrown me is that when i tested the other day (api master test kit) i had;
Ammonia - 2
Nitrite - off the chart
NitrAte - 160 ppm

Is it normal to have so much nitrAte when the ammonia and nitrite are also still going through their process?

Ive tested again yesterday and ammonia was at 0 but nitrite is around 2ppm with nitrAtes just getting darker and darker

I guess my question is...Should i be worried about my cycle?

Thanks in advance!

EDIT: I suppose i should mention that in the first place i only ever added 4ppm of ammonia, and kept it topped up to 4ppm

If you like my advice, please add to my reputation so others know im helpful
layna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th April 2013   #2
Kaysie
(Kaysie)
Site Contributor

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 45
Comments: 62
Rep: Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11
Default Re: Is this an odd cycle? advice please

Your tank is cycled. Your ammonia and nitrite are both coming down while nitrate gets higher.

Do a water change, add just a touch of ammonia. If it disappears within a day, you're done!

Kaysie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th April 2013   #3
Layna
(layna)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: layna has given good advice and informationlayna has given good advice and informationlayna has given good advice and information
Default Re: Is this an odd cycle? advice please

Okay great thanks

If you like my advice, please add to my reputation so others know im helpful
layna is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ammonia, cycle, nitrate, nitrite