Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Spitballing Ideas For New Tank

Twigwise

Reaction score
I currently have my juvenile axolotl in a tank that's quite small, and I'm planning on upgrading to a proper 20 long in a month or so. I work at a pet store, so I see a lot of great stuff that I want to incorporate into the tank, but with so many ideas, it's hard to choose what I want to do! My boss is a "fish guy," with over a decade of experience with aquaria and fish (specifically cichlids) so he'll sometimes kind of shoot me down on some ideas, while saying others are good. I think he's confused that I'm so indecisive!

One thing I'm really throwing ideas around about is using epoxy- aquarium and water-safe epoxy- to glue river rocks to the tank bottom as a substrate. Possibly even glass gems. Maybe in a pattern, maybe only in one half of the tank, I'm not sure. Has anyone got experience with doing such a thing? Is it a good idea? My boss says it would look tacky, but I think it would give my little guy something to rest on and use for traction, instead of a bare bottom tank.

Another thing I'm considering is buying multiple slabs of rocks in different, appealing colors, to make naturalistic hides and shelves for my axie. Is there any particular benefit to terracotta pots or PVC pipes over rock pieces? Is there a danger of a larger axie overturning rock stacks onto themselves?

I have so many ideas that I want to kind of have a "sounding board" for, because I don't know what's best for my little dude.

Sweet Pea

Reaction score
Lol, you sound like me! Sorry. I am new to Axi's and the forum. Basically getting ideas myself. However I can bounce some ideas back to you.

Try to focus on what you really like. If you like rocks go with rocks. Just make sure it's safe for your Axi! There are all sorts of cool things for tanks out there but not all of them will look good together. So try to stick with one major decor then one or two different smaller pieces to accent it. Above all just enjoy what you like even if it isn't everyone's cup of tea :) (Just make sure it will be safe in your aquarium!!!)

Personally I deal with all kinds of animals and I strongly believe a stable footing really does help make animals more secure. (I am using tile, large slate looking and textured pieces cut to fit my tank. Easy to clean, looks beautiful but still natural, and it's texture {Grooves and slightly​ rough bumpy texture are perfect for gripping on. Plus it was cheeper then real slate.}). I've read that gluing things to the glass/ acrylic is a bad idea. What if you don't like it? And it's a pain to clean around. If you use tile (cut to shape and drop in place) you can glue stuff to the tile! Then just replace the tile if you don't like it. As a side note ALWAYS do a dry run. Set stuff up how you think you may like it (before gluing) then wait a few days. Walk by it. Look at it from different angles during different parts of the day. Makes a huge difference. And will save you time and grief in the long run.

Hope someone with some more experience will poll in and give you some sage advice!

Twigwise

Reaction score
That's a good point about gluing being unchangeable. I forgot that part, haha! I have access to a lot of really nice rocks in both chunks and slabs at the store I work, so maybe I'll line the bottom with those. I'll have to do some research on what's appropriate for what tanks; I seem to remember quartzite being a bad option for axolotls, but I can't be sure until I look that up!

I was originally going to go with a very vibrant theme for the tank, with lots of flourescent plastic plants, but after seeing so many beautiful designs on the tank share thread, I think maybe a fusion (partly "alien" looking, partly naturalistic looking) might be a better option? Or just going plainly naturalistic, too.

Twigwise

Reaction score
And I've changed my mind again! This is what I'm thinking of going with, now:

tumblr_oq7lo8gIjt1t5jci1o1_1280.png

I've been watching a lot of videos about setting up good aquariums and while I don't think I'm ready to try a fully planted aquarium, I'd love to try replicating the look!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1