Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

HELP! It’s my first Axolotl..

KylieDay

Reaction score
So, 5 days ago I bought an axolotl, his name is Toothless (I know cliche but my fiancé picked it out) and I’m super worried. He hasn’t eaten a thing (he’s a juvenile not even 2 inches long) I’ve tried pellets, flakes, frozen bloodworms, frozen krill, live earthworms, live night crawler, live mealworms, and I’ve even tried a carnivore blend. Nothing. And now he’s floating. He has been for 3 days. I push him down into his plant but he has to come up for air and then can’t get back down. I’m freaking out. I have 5 reptiles, 4 cats, a pit bull, 2 rodents, a beta sorority and now him. I go above and beyond to do anything for my animals I just don’t know where to turn here. I’m so scared, and my pet store hasn’t helped at all., Prior to getting him I set up and cycled the tank. Temp has been at 18.3c and highest at 19.3 today. No traces of nitrate or nitrite, ph is stable, ammonia isn’t a problem, and the hardness is perfect. His water is absolutely as perfect as It gets. I have a low flow filter that’s adjustable and he’s in a 10 gallon tank. I’m using a very fine sand substrate, with plenty of hides and 2 plants for him to play in. Please help. I can’t watch him like this anymore, I really need someone.

dumb bug

Reaction score
Axolotls tend to have high death rates at young ages, so since it is two inches, it is hard to tell if it is/will stay in good health since it is so young. It's best to buy axolotls when they are 3-4 inches so you know that they don't have any defects or health issues/potential problems. i hope everything goes well for you.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!