Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Question: Is my baby axolotl eating too much?

christinalotl

Reaction score
Hi everyone!

I have two baby axolotls (they're about 2 months old). One of them appears to swim around normally and is very active, whereas the other one recently has started to just lie at the bottom of the tank on his belly. He crawls around at the bottom when there's food or when I change his water, but doesn't "stand up" on his legs like my other axolotl.

His belly appears to be a normal size. I hand-feed both axolotls twice a day, about 3 thawed frozen bloodworms at each feeding. I also usually leave 1-2 bloodworms in their bowls while I'm in class and I find they've eaten them by the time I come home.

Am I feeding my axolotl too much? Or is he sick?

Thank you so much for your help!!

Hayleyy

Reaction score
It could just be personality, I've never had an issue with overfeeding. When they are full they will stop eating. If they have recently been put in the tank he might just be getting used to it. The first week I put Bucky in his new tank he did nothing but sit in one spot, but now he is exploring everything.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!