The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Notices

Sick Axolotl? Axolotl looking down in the gills? The doctors are in.

Old 17th September 2018   #1
Lunathelotl

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: Lunathelotl is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Sick or dwarf/mini?

Hello. Iím new to Caudata and in search of some opinions.

My axolotl Rupert is over a year old and only 4.5 - 5 inches long. His gills are also quite short compared to my other axolotl. He has always been a good eater and will take chopped up wrigglers every day/every other day. He moves around his tank a decent amount (heís in a 40 gallon breeder) and recognizes when I sit in front of the tank. Iím concearned Iíve done something to stunt his growth but I was also told that he could just be a mini/dwarf. I followed all of the instructions that the breeder gave me and when I got him he was maybe 2 inches long.

Any opinions/help is greatly appreciated!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	11785E2E-9EFE-4EA9-A1F5-9E90463740F8.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	347.8 KB
ID:	54320  

Lunathelotl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th September 2018   #2
Hayley
(Hayleyy)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 1
Rep: Hayleyy is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgHayleyy is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgHayleyy is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgHayleyy is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgHayleyy is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgHayleyy is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.org
Default Re: Sick or dwarf/mini?

It's probably a genetic thing, the gills and the size. If this one is significantly smaller than your other you may want to keep them separate if you haven't already

Hayleyy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
help and advice, help and advice needed, sick axolotil