Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Question: What Can I Feed My Salamamder?

Brook Sal

Reaction score
Help! What can I feed my salamander!
He is a long-tail spotted salamamder and is around 3 1/2 inches long. Small crickets are slightly bigger than his mouth. Will he be able to eat them?

Herpin Man

Reaction score
Perhaps you mean long tailed salamander??
Whether it can eat crickets will depend on the size of the cricket. Unless you have access to pinhead crickets, or possibly 1/8" crickets, the answer is probably no.
Other possible prey items would include bean beetles, fruit flies, and smaller isopods, all of which you can easily culture at home.
I would strongly encourage you to research care of this species, and small plethodontids in general. Start by spending some time on the forums here. Tiny salamanders like this can be very challenging to keep alive, especially if you are a beginner. They are also very adept at escape, being able to climb glass and squeeze through very tiny openings.
If this is a salamander that you recently caught in the wild, the best course may be to release it where it was found.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!