The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Notices

Newt and Salamander Help Got a problem? Ill newt? Basic questions? Ask about them here.

Old 19th June 2014   #1
mikemike

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: mikemike is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Organic choice potting soil and tiger salamander

Hey everyone,
I am about to get a Tiger Salamander (or Axolotl still trying to decide) and i have a bunch of left over dirt from my planted aquarium (not to mention also play sand just in case i do get a Axolotl) an I know that the dirt is fish safe but i'm wondering if it's safe with Tiger Salamander's as well.

mikemike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th June 2014   #2
Aaron
(ThoseNewtsTho)
European Newt Group

Nationality:
Comments: 1
Rep: ThoseNewtsTho has given consistently excellent advice and informationThoseNewtsTho has given consistently excellent advice and informationThoseNewtsTho has given consistently excellent advice and informationThoseNewtsTho has given consistently excellent advice and informationThoseNewtsTho has given consistently excellent advice and information
Default Re: Organic choice potting soil and tiger salamander

Do you know what kind of "dirt" it is and if it has any Peat, Sphagnum. or Fertilizers in it?

ThoseNewtsTho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th June 2014   #3
Josh
(JoshBA)

Nationality:
Rep: JoshBA has given consistently good advice and informationJoshBA has given consistently good advice and informationJoshBA has given consistently good advice and informationJoshBA has given consistently good advice and information

Even though its fine for planted aquariums, it wouldn't be ideal as the main soil for a tiger salamander tank. This is because Miracle grow is nutrient rich, and the salamander would basically be in contact with it all the time. And high amounts of nutrients in the soil could potentially be harmful to the salamander.

Is the soil mineralized? If you're doing a planted vivarium, it would probably be safe then to use in moderation (not as the main substrate).

JoshBA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th June 2014   #4
mikemike

Nationality:
Rep: mikemike is an unknown quantity at this point

I kinda feel now as if this thread was pointless because i just asked mother which does she like more and she told me If it's not a a mammal or fish It can't live in her house then she started asking about the axolotl and said she'll make a exception to it axolotl.

mikemike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st June 2014   #5
Mark
Administrator

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 898
Comments: 26
Rep: Mark goes to 11Mark goes to 11Mark goes to 11Mark goes to 11Mark goes to 11Mark goes to 11Mark goes to 11Mark goes to 11Mark goes to 11Mark goes to 11Mark goes to 11

Mammals are ok, eh? This is how I imagine your house in a weeks time.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	230
Size:	47.0 KB
ID:	38149  

Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th April 2019   #6
Norma679

Nationality:
Rep: Norma679 is an unknown quantity at this point

If you want to grow your plants organically and keep your plant leaves green, then you can use Miracle Gro. This Potting soil contains nitrogen, potassium, and phosphorous. Also it quite affordable with useful features. It has no harmful substances.

Norma679 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dirt, tiger salamander