The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Notices

Sick Axolotl? Axolotl looking down in the gills? The doctors are in.

Old 22nd April 2019   #1
Haileyasfar

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: Haileyasfar is an unknown quantity at this point
Default I think my axi is dying or dead

My boyfriend and I have had one of our axolotls , Franklyn for about 2 months and got a second axolotl, Oj afew weeks ago . They are in a 60L tank with large pebbles at the bottom . Franklyn has been having frequent spasms Iíve the past 3 weeks and has not been eating or moving over the past 3 days and has been floating at the top of the tank . Today we noticed white Fungus on both of them and gave them a 10 minute black tea bath in the fridge . Oj was swimming around fine afterwards but franklyn is not moving or responding to mealworms or being touched . I just have a feeling that he is still alive . How can I tell if he is dead and if he isnít what is wrong with him and how can I help him .

Haileyasfar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd April 2019   #2
Hayley
(Hayleyy)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 1
Rep: Hayleyy is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgHayleyy is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgHayleyy is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgHayleyy is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgHayleyy is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgHayleyy is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.org
Default Re: I think my axi is dying or dead

First of all can you test the water parameters and let us know. What temperature is the tank? Was the new one quarantined? How often are your water changes, and what % do you change. Also what dechlorinator are you using?
Usually dead axolotls will lose their gills rapidly, start to bloat and eventually the mouth will hang open. In my experience their legs will also curl so they are pointed backwards (if that makes sense). Post a picture if you can so we can see.

Hayleyy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
axolotl help, dead, dead axolotl, sick, sick axolotl