The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Notices

Newt and Salamander Help Got a problem? Ill newt? Basic questions? Ask about them here.

Old 31st August 2019   #1
BMM22

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: BMM22 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Baby Salamander ID

Hello,

This is my first post here, so I apologize if it's not in the right place. Anyway, I'm looking for some help IDing my salamanders.

I caught these little guys as tadpoles around early April while I was herping in the northern Ozarks. I found them in a small, slow moving stream in the woods. I'm pretty sure they were freshly hatched as none of them had arms or legs yet and they were only about a half an inch long. As tadpoles they were a light green color with brown speckling along their tails. By mid May they had developed all their limbs and then around mid July they started to lose their gills and come out of the water. They were about an inch and a half long at that point. Since then their colors have started to come in and they've continued to grow. They're all black or very dark gray with small white speckles along their sides. Size wise they're between two and two and a half inches right now. They have four toes on their front feet and five on their back. They're still pretty small, so it's hard to count their grooves exactly, but I think it's between 13 and 15.

Any help with IDing them would be appreciated. Hopefully the pictures I've attached help.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	294.0 KB
ID:	55899   Click image for larger version

Name:	2.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	266.7 KB
ID:	55900   Click image for larger version

Name:	3.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	307.1 KB
ID:	55901  

BMM22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th September 2019   #2
Ekmanor

Nationality:
Rep: Ekmanor has started on the right path
Default Re: Baby Salamander ID

If I had to guess theyíre a type of slimy salamander. Probably Plethodon glutinosus? However I think that P. glutinosus can and will hybridize with other members of their genus.

Hereís a link to caudata cultureís page on the slimy salamanders:

https://www.caudata.org/cc/species/P...utinosus.shtml

Iím quite the amateur at this so if someone thinks/knows Iím wrong- by all means let me know. Regardless I hope this helps.

Ekmanor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #3
BMM22

Nationality:
Rep: BMM22 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Baby Salamander ID

I appreciate the help. However, I can safely rule out them being slimy salamanders because they had an aquatic stage.

BMM22 is offline   Reply With Quote