The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Notices

Sick Axolotl? Axolotl looking down in the gills? The doctors are in.

Old 29th March 2018   #1
kaliyahchanel

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: kaliyahchanel is an unknown quantity at this point
Exclamation Fungus ?!

So Iíve had this axolotl since May last year so itís almost a year old. I noticed that itís gill filaments have shrunken and look like theyíve fallen off and theyíre curved forward. I just did a 50% water change so all of the parameters are good. The axolotl is also eating really well (I feed him two crickets a day) and I donít notice any white fuzzy spots on him. Could this be a fungus and how else could I tell? His filter does cause a bit of water movement, but could that really affect his gills? Iíve included a picture of him.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	22CE255E-CB08-4918-9073-E2E3C392BBAB.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	359.4 KB
ID:	52832  

kaliyahchanel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th March 2018   #2
Hayley
(Hayleyy)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Comments: 1
Rep: Hayleyy is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgHayleyy is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgHayleyy is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgHayleyy is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgHayleyy is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgHayleyy is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.org
Default Re: Fungus ?!

Hey!
You said you didn't notice any white fuzzy spots, so there probably isn't fungus (and I can't see any on the photo either).
Did you test the water using test kits before and after the water change? This will give you accurate numbers, rather than assuming levels are okay after a water change.
A lot of things can affect their gills. One, being genetics but that can't be helped. A high rate of water flow will stress your axies out and cause their gills to curl forward. If there is flow coming from your filter just attach a loofah and that will reduce the flow. Or you can prop some decorations up under the filter to disperse the flow (there's heaps of threads on here on how people do that).
As for the filaments on the gills I believe they can reduce if there is too much oxygen in the water (someone please correct me if I'm wrong). If there's lots of oxygen then the axie wont need the filaments as much so they will reduce.
I would suggest moving from feeding crickets to earthworms. Insects with a hard shell are more difficult to digest, so it isn't recommended to feed them as a staple (this includes mealworms). Earthworms are much more nutritious and it makes them look like they're eating spaghetti!

Hayleyy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th March 2018   #3
kaliyahchanel

Nationality:
Comments: 0
Rep: kaliyahchanel is an unknown quantity at this point

I do use a sponge filter with an air pump which may increase oxygen in the tank. I did test the water and all of the parameters are weíre fine after the water change. Iíll switch his food and see what happens. Thank you so much for your input and help!

kaliyahchanel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th March 2018   #4
Hayley
(Hayleyy)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Comments: 1
Rep: Hayleyy is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgHayleyy is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgHayleyy is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgHayleyy is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgHayleyy is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgHayleyy is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.org

Do you have a filter in addition to the sponge filter? If you do you can try to turn down the air pump and see if that makes a difference :)
Goodluck!

Hayleyy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fungus infection, sick axolot