The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Notices

Newt and Salamander Help Got a problem? Ill newt? Basic questions? Ask about them here.

Old 13th February 2019   #1
AsiaNicole

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: AsiaNicole is an unknown quantity at this point
Unhappy Tiger Salamander with huge open wound on abdomen

I've had my tiger salamander for about a year and a half with no issues. Long story short, I have noticed that he has not been interested in food in a while and has shown abnormal behavior. I took him to the vet today and he has a large open wound (muscle is exposed) underneath him, starting right below his neck and going down to around where his front legs are. He also has a small patch of missing skin near one of his back legs, and a couple smaller wounds on his tail.

He absolutely HATES being picked up, he is almost always covered in dirt when I see him, and there is nothing in his enclosure that could cut him. Because of this I haven't seen underneath him in a really long time so I had no idea. The vet thinks it is an infection and I have oral medications, a topical ointment, and something to soak him in, so hopefully it all works.

I just wanted to know if anyone else has experienced anything like this with their salamanders??? And is there a good chance of him recovering ok or am I being too optimistic? He is still able to move around and has dug himself underground a few times (he is in a tank with only wet paper towel now though). I'm hoping for the best, and I will always make sure to check him over periodically in the future. But I'd appreciate anyone else's opinions or past experiences.

*** I did not attach a picture because it's pretty graphic looking =/ ***

AsiaNicole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th February 2019   #2
Otterwoman
Administrator

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 58
Comments: 71
Rep: Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11
Default Re: Tiger Salamander with huge open wound on abdomen

I'm so glad you had a vet to take him to. Without knowing the cause, and also such an extensive wound, I wouldn't be hopeful, but you are trying your best!! Good luck!!

Useful Links: Caudata Culture | Species Accounts | Care Articles | Newt and Salamander FAQs | Axolotl.org | Axolotl FAQs | Forum Functions | My Blog
Otterwoman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
infection, medications, missing skin, open wound, salamander, skin, tiger salamander