The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Notices

Off-Topic Many people have requested an area of the forum in which to discuss topics not directly related to the rest of the forum (such as newt and salamander art).

Old 11th November 2011   #1
suztor

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 5
Rep: suztor has shown reliable knowledgesuztor has shown reliable knowledge
Default One way glass

Has anyone ever used this?

There's a film you can get to put on glass to make it one way glass.

You can see one way, but the other way is a mirror.

My salamanders still won't go in the water and its been months. I changed the filter from a pump with a light current to an air pump powered filter with no real current. Water is good,fully cycled temp is nice and cold(60-65f). They have over 16 inches of water vertically and just over 20 gallons total

I've noticed they move away when I poke my face in there to check on them (you know twice daily head counts). So I was considering making it so they can't see any thing but their own movements. Any ideas?

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk

Old 6th December 2011   #2
Elena
(esn)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: esn is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgesn is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgesn is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgesn is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgesn is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgesn is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.org
Default Re: One way glass

If you think that they're afraid, then it might work. But I would think that making them unable to see out would stress them, as it would make their home seem much smaller to them. Like painting a room a dark color, you sort of feel like you're squeezed in. Whenever I poke my head up to the glass to watch my axolotls, them come up to me.

Basically, if you think it's necessary, try it. I'm sure you can fix it if it doesn't work. I would be scared of stressing them out by making space seem limited, but I'm not sure if that's a false worry.

esn is offline   Reply With Quote