The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Notices

Axolotl General Discussion Open axolotl forum: if it doesn't fit in the sub-topics then post it here.

Old 19th June 2013   #1
ReptileGirl

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: ReptileGirl is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Won't eat motionless food

So my critter won't eat food that isn't alive and moving. I've tried bloodworm cubes, dried shrimp, dried mealworms, dried crickets, protein pellets, liver (which he had no idea what to do with) etc and he won't eat anything that isn't moving. I've tried manually moving the items - and when I do that he will come up and push them with his nose, but never actually eat them, eventually he gets bored and goes back to his house. He ate one bloodworm cube once, but that was because I dropped it on him (oops) and scared the daylights out of him. After that, even if I dropped it on him, he spat it out. Is there a way that I can convince him to eat non-living food? I'm totally fine with feeding him 100% living food, but I want to be able to give him the best variety so it would be helpful if he ate non-living foods. Thanks!

ReptileGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th June 2013   #2
melfly
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 12
Comments: 4
Rep: melfly is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgmelfly is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgmelfly is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgmelfly is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgmelfly is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgmelfly is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.org
Default Re: Won't eat motionless food

How big is he?
Does he have all his legs?

Mel

melfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th June 2013   #3
pookiewn

Nationality:
Rep: pookiewn has shown reliable knowledgepookiewn has shown reliable knowledge

The best food for him is earthworms, they are nutritionally complete and other foods are not necessary.

A couple of my axies are fussy in the brand of bloodworm, and it took them a while to eat pellets. The best way to introduce new food to them I found was after feeding a wriggly worm, they then went into hunting mode and were happy to sample different foods, but it took a long time for it to be dinner on it's own!

pookiewn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th June 2013   #4
Alkylhalide
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Rep: Alkylhalide has given consistently good advice and informationAlkylhalide has given consistently good advice and informationAlkylhalide has given consistently good advice and informationAlkylhalide has given consistently good advice and information

If he is under 1.5" It's understandable. I was feeding my babies frozen bloodworms since they were 1" and could eat it chopped up.

I did hear though that some axolotls can become very picky very easily. If you wean them off live food, by just incorporating the not live food, "sometimes" the axolotl will never want food that is not live and will only take it if its live.

Same with sometimes if you feed them one thing for while, then introduce a new treat, or food, that they may never go back to the old food again. Pretty much be careful what you feed them :)

My two lotls that are 8" have been fed on nightcrawlers for a while now. Which is the best food to feed them anyways, and they are live. Mine aren't picky though and I can put anything in the tank(including fingers) and its food!

My three juveniles that are 5" long now(WOW) Are being fed mostly still on frozen bloodworms, and also smaller earthworms when I can find them(yay free food) Once Im out of bloodworms though they will be going on a full earthworm/nightcrawler diet(cheapperr) which is only 4days away.

Alkylhalide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th June 2013   #5
ReptileGirl

Nationality:

Quote:
Originally Posted by melfly View Post
How big is he?
Does he have all his legs?

Mel
He's 6-6.5 inches long, and yes he has all his legs and various other body parts.

Old 20th June 2013   #6
narny101
(narny101)

Nationality:
Rep: narny101 has shown reliable knowledge

I was wondering, is feeding an axie earthworms right out of a garden ( rinsed of cores) a good idea... I have heaps of worms in my backyard but I wasn't sure if it was a good idea ( I read that they could have a virus or something?)

narny101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th June 2013   #7
ReptileGirl

Nationality:

Quote:
Originally Posted by narny101 View Post
I was wondering, is feeding an axie earthworms right out of a garden ( rinsed of cores) a good idea... I have heaps of worms in my backyard but I wasn't sure if it was a good idea ( I read that they could have a virus or something?)
I haven't been here long - but a lot of people here just grab them from their gardens, so I tend to doubt if there's much danger in that. What would worry me more would be the residual presence of insecticides and/or herbicides. But for me that isn't a factor since my reptiles are kept outside and I live in a semi-rural area so neither I nor anyone around me uses harmful things. In another thread someone (I think it was Mel) mentioned feeding woodlice from gardens - which I tried and my guy actually eats them.

Old 20th June 2013   #8
Tephra

Nationality:
Comments: 1
Rep: Tephra has given consistently excellent advice and informationTephra has given consistently excellent advice and informationTephra has given consistently excellent advice and informationTephra has given consistently excellent advice and information

If it's moving, an axolotl will eat it. Teaching them to eat motionless food (especially pellets) can take some time, but they'll get the hang of it. They have to be in the water for a bit before they become detectable through scent by the axolotls. When the pellets get like that, you might want to try stirring up the water a bit with a chopstick or something like that, get the pellets to move so the axie spots them. It worked for me.

Tephra is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
axolotl, diet, feeding, food, foods