Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Dwarf Waterdog?

mywan

Reaction score
I don't normally keep caudata. I have several frogs, fish, snails, etc. though. I found a salamander last spring here in Georgia I haven't identified yet. I lost my pics but will get more this coming spring. Perhaps somebody here can give some clues.

Location found: Northwest, Georgia

Appearance: It appeared in all characteristics to be a Dwarf Waterdog (Necturus punctatus), including gills, except one. It has 4 hind toes and 3 front toes. The range of sizes were about 2 to 5 inches (including tail) with a fair increase in body diameter with the larger ones. The location is quiet a bit north of the official Dwarf Waterdog range. I was unable to find anything with that toe count.

Habitat: Apparently nocturnal. Found in small stream within several miles of the beginning and feed with a fairly large watershed. Seems to prefer shallow moving water several inches deep and hides in growth and under stones. When kept in an aquarium for a few weeks it stayed hidden under rocks for days at a time and when it did surface seemed agitated that it couldn't exit the water, so I provided some flotation. It did seem comfortable out of the water so long as it was moist. Predatory fish were at a minimum but not completely absent. Tadpoles (Bufo and several Ranidae) were nearby. Although not listed in Georgia protected list and nutria generally aren't covered in Ga law I recognize that it may be rare. I therefore limited my take to one specimen for observation time.

Food: It did readily eat flake fish food in my aquarium, otherwise unknown.

Season: Mid to late February and march they were numerous and found easily at night with a flashlight, at least in the area in question this past year. Probable breeding time. The water was still too cold to wade in. I seen no signs of them later in the summer.

I alway do my aquatic field trips at night because it makes observation easy without disturbing anything. I will be searching again this coming spring and I'll have a better camera to replace my lost pics. Curious if anybody can offer any suggestions. Without good pics I expect only general possibilities to investigate.

i_love_necturus

Reaction score
So you say you have no pictures? Thats too bad because then you could get a better ID. By your description it sounds like it could be a Dwarf Waterdog (Necturus punctatus) but I'm not sure. The area you found it in does sound quite out of range but you never know. Also Necturus spp. have four toes on all feet, the three may be a mutation, birth defect or injury. I wont rule out the dwarf waterdog but it would be best to get a shot.

Does it look anything like this: http://www.caudata.org/cc/species/Necturus/N_punctatus.shtml It may or may not have white spots if it is a N. punctatus, it could just be all gray.

Slimy2

Reaction score
hi

I used to live close to where you live but they sound like southern two-lined larvae. You said one dosen't have gills too.

i_love_necturus

Reaction score
Oh I missed that one that didn't have gills. Then they probably are E. cirrigera as they can be similar. But can the larvae get up to 5 inches?

mywan

Reaction score
Do they look like the E. cirrigera larvae at the bottom of this page.

http://www.caudata.org/cc/species/Eurycea/Eurycea_sp.shtml

I used to think these were dwarf waterdogs until I raised them up.
Yes I believe you may have nailed it here.

Yes they all had external gills like the larva on that link. I messed up my use of commas and periods, my mistake. "Except one" was meant as except one characteristic which was the toe count. It was the toe count that made me skeptical they were Dwarf waterdogs. I seems I didn't see any of the adults. Thanks a lot.

After reading the caudata.org info I may build a habitat and after a little study actually keep a couple this spring. My lack of pictures is the result of an unfortunate incident last December. My female Grey tree frog (Hyla versicolor) (also here) will feed from my hands. Sounds like E. cirrigera can also be quiet tame and easy to care for.

Thanks again.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1