Newt and salamander wish list

merk199

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
rick
For the lack of anything better to do I came up with my current dream list of newts and salamanders to someday hopefully own.

I currently have cynops ensicauda popei, and cynops orientalis eggs. So to round out the cynops I am thinking I will need to get some pyrogasters.

Then I decided when reading the care sheets that I want to go mostly terrestrial so I came up with the following:

Tylototriton shanjing
Triturus marmoratus or Triturus pygmaeus
Salamandra any of the species like algira, atra, corsica, infraimmaculata, or salamandra they are all beautiful.

Surprisingly the kaiseri did not make the list. Personally the critical staus plus high price for WC/CB???? uncertainly makes me want to leave them in the wild.

What does everyone else have on their wish list, or they currently have.

Well if you want terrestrial T.marmoratus is not the best choice. In captivity some individuals never leave the water..others only for some months. T.pygmaeus might be about the same depending on locality.

My wish list is ridiculously long....i like each and every species and there are a lot that i´d love to have. The top ones would probably be P.laoensis, N.strauchii, M.alpestris and S.s.gigliolii...

Well, when I meant terrestrial I didn't mean for all my wish list animals. Triturus marmoratus or Triturus pygmaeus I realize are aquatic. But they are so beautiful that I would love to own a couple. My terrestrial urge is just more of direction I want to lean towards. S.s.gigliolii would also make the list....So many so little $$$. They were right this is an addictive hobby....I up to two animals and now I am constantly looking for new CB animals....I do not have the experience to truly deal with a WC animal just yet.

This is what my wife gets when she says I can keep whatever I want in the basement as long as it is not a snake....

I've definitely got a european bias: Lissotriton italicus, Mesotriton alpestris, Salamandra salamandra terrestris would be the top three, although all of the Triturus group are pretty cool. Crossing the pond, I'd love to get some Sirens/Pseudobranchus.

Oh and as this is purely a thoeretical excercise i'd have to add Salamandrina!

Hmmm, where to begin?

I would have to say Ambystoma annulatum, Ambystoma macrodactylum, Neurergus strauchii, Triturus cristatus and Taricha rivularis top my list.

My top one would be Ambystoma cingulatum:D My second would be Echinotriton andersoni.

I would have A. macrodactylum again. OMG I love those little guys! Maybe just all the Ambystoma species.

Pretty cool list going. Its funny no one has the same list. Now I can look up everyone's faves in my spare time.....I have too much free time...

I've got one pleurodeles waltlii.
I've got only one tylototriton shanjing.

I love my tylototriton shanjing so much (its color pattern, its "way of being, just being"),
that I'd definitely like to have a whole bunch of them "running" together.
But man are they expensive (50 €)...

Also, I'd like to have a group of cynops orientalis, and one of notophtalmus viridescens.

If it wasn't a question of money, I'd even like to have a group of cynops cyanurus.

That would be it...although I'm luring towards some pseudotriton ruber ruber as well...

:happy:

I already have the following -
1 Ambystoma mavortium, barred tiger salamander
1 Ambystoma tigrinum melanostictum, blotched tiger salamander
3 Eurycea lucifuga, cave salamanders
2 Tylototriton shanjing, emperor newts

My wish list -
Ambystoma mavortium (I want more)
Ambystoma opacum (but they are illegal in Massachusetts)
Ambystoma laterale (same as above)
Ambystoma maculatum (again same as above)
Pseudoeurycea bellii (I have never seen these guys for sale)
Pseudotriton ruber
Ensatina eschscholtzii klauberi (I have never seen these guys for sale)
Plethodon yonahlossee (I have never seen these guys for sale)
Neurergus kaiseri (too bloody expensive!)
Neurergus strauchii
Notophthalmus viridescens viridescens (plan on catching some this July)
Salamandra salamandra gigliolii
Salamandra salamandra fastuosa
Salamandra salamandra salamandra (I had some but they died of chytridiomycosis)
Taricha rivularis (I have never seen these guys for sale)
Taricha torosa (I bought some in Whiteplains but they died on the way home)
Triturus marmoratus

There are so many native species that I would like to keep that, with the exception of T. rivularis, I am not even going to bother listing them all. I still remember being a little kid and my Mom buying me a T. rivularis at K Mart. As far as exotics are concerned I would love to try some of the various Bolitoglossa species, revisit Salamandra and Cynops, as well as other species of Paramesotriton and Tylototriton. My problem is that I have too much time, space, and money! - sarcasm
Chip

I currently have:

2 Notos-N.V.V.
2 A. Maculatum
1 A. Tigrinum
4 A. Opacum
1 A. Texanum
1 T. Shanjing
1 T. Marmoratus

What I would love:

M. Apaunas
All Triturus
T. Rivularis
Any Taricha
N. Perstriatus
P. Waltl
Any Ommatotriton
Any Neurergus
Any Lissotriton
Any Euproctus

That pretty much would make me content to the absolute....But I may be guilty of being a little greedy!

-jbherpin-

My wish list has changed slightly, instead of actual species, I'm now aiming to have all my animals in naturalistic live planted vivaria.

As for animals...

S.s.Inframaculata.
S.s.Corsica
(also want to build up my Giggliolli colony)

C.Cornuta (amazon horned frogs)
Kaloula Pulchra (easily attainable but I've just never got round to getting them)
Pipa Pipa (recently aquired two captive bred young but need some different gene stock)

Always fun to sit down "plan" what your collection will be in the future. Hopefully at some point in my life I will have the pleasure in keeping these species. (Although with what I have now)

I have decided only allow one species to be wc and that is A. opacum for no other choice. I also have a goal to raise several of these species from eggs. This is my tentative order, of course not going to follow it to the letter and will definitely need more space! :D

T. verrucosus
L. vulgaris or M. alpestris
A. opacum
T. kweichowensis
N. strauchii

I have 3 Cynops Orientalis. I also have 3 hermit crabs and 1 sugar glider. That doesn't leave me much extra for a wish list. I would love to have about every different newt, salamander, snake, and reptile out there, but I don't have the space, time, or money. I live in a tiny one bedroom apartment with my hubby and the 7 creatures I have already.:happy:

I would love to have some marbled salamanders but they are on the endangered species list in my area I believe. They are beautiful to behold, though I have not managed to see anything but pictures of them. Their habitats are shrinking here.

Unluckily I have no possibility to keep many of the urodeles, which I desire. So I just dream of lowland-species of Bolitoglossa, of which I already own a pair of yucatana for 8 years now....

Greetings from Hamburg

Sven Vogler

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back