Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Question: Axolotl equipment?

GraemeB

Reaction score
Hi, I am looking to buy my first two axolotl's in the next couple weeks and was just wondering what kind of equipment I need. I would be getting a 20 gallon tank for the two along with a internal filter to shoot water across the surface of the tank and a air pump to aerate the water for them. I will also be buying large gravel (more like rocks) for the ground of my tank. I am thinking of making a hiding house for them out of some kind of tile that I could break into pieces (with no sharp points) and use aquarium grade silicone to glue together. I am also going to buy a thermometer and water testing equipment. Other than food and axolotl's am I missing any key piece to a healthy and safe axolotl habitat? Thanks in advance to all your suggestions!

GraemeB

Reaction score
Also I would be getting the Fluval U1 filter which can be used to spray water across the surface, would this be sufficient enough to aerate my tank or should I spend the extra $25 to get a air pump and tubing?

laalflaach

Reaction score
Hi there, sand would be a better substrate for your axies, as large rocks can harbour food and faeces, which would make it very difficult to clean up and if you miss any it can mess your water parameters up pretty quickly. Just make sure you rinse it bucket by bucket until it runs clear every time. Any food or poo will sit on the surface of the sand making it very easy to syphon or turkey baste away. I think a U2 would be ok, as long as it filters the water several times over in an hour, you can check this by using a tank calculator, using your tank diameters to calculate the volume of water you will see if the filter is large enough to cope with that. I have a filter that is too small so am having to upgrade, finding out the hard way. Make sure that when you use the silicon to glue your hide, that you leave it to sit for at least 48 hours to set. An air stone could be a nice addition, I am thinking of adding one that is just sitting around, many people say that their axies love to sit with their heads in the bubbles, and clamp it if is too bubbly. Maybe some soft plants, either real or fake, just something for them to explore, some ornaments, if you take a look at the tank setup threads or even peoples pics in the gallery you will find some great ideas. Good luck, and post some pics when you are done, let us know how you have got on. ;)

GraemeB

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. Yeah after some more research I found sand to be a better option, and my budget just got a large increase from $200 too about $350 from dog sitting. Didn't know it paid $20 a day! :D So I now have no issue buys plants and what not. And the U2 is more than capable for a 20g as to it's rated for up to 30, so if anything I may have to run it on the lower settings. And I have decided on getting a totally independent aeration system instead of just relying on the filter to pump are into it. So an air stone will be a viable option. I will post pics of my soon to be Axolotl tank when I get back from vacation so in like 3 weeks.... :( Suddenly I don't want to go on vacation. lol

laalflaach

Reaction score
I know, it gets so exciting getting it all sorted, if it helps, take a notepad with you and jot down some ideas, draw some designs, etc... hopefully it will help you relax and enjoy your vacation! ;)

fishcakey

Reaction score
Go to axolotl.org and it'll help! There's a couple of threads with links to REALLY specific and informational articles about plants and rocks and whatnot.

GraemeB

Reaction score
Yeah axolotl.org is quite helpful, that's how I found this site to be honest! :)

Minniechild

Reaction score
Congrats on joining the hobby! For hides, I find large terracotta pots to be invaluable (my Izzie can usually be found hiding out there) in addition to you tiles :).

Some other ESSENTIAL things to have;

1. Turkey baster- for waste spot cleaning.

2. Large, fine net- For clearing up muck and catching axies if they get sick/need to move out for a bit.

3. Large buckets/ water drum- For doing water changes. Good ones are the old water holders from those coolers they have in the doctor's surgery, or the massive 20L ones that are around for camping.

4. Thermometer- Good to know what is happening with your tank's temperature, and to ensure that it doesn't go above 24C (not that it does that outside...)

5. Frozen bloodworms- Keep them in the freezer in case your worm population runs out (As mine have...run out of the compost parts I can reach and into the depths of the heap...)

6. 3+L locking container- if your axie gets sick, you can isolate them in one of these and get them into the fridge so they have a chance to recuperate

7. Surgical grade scissors- Great for cutting air line, plants, etc...

8. A good vet- Verry hard to come by for axie lovers...even Sydney only has one who is remotely knowledgeable about such cuties.

9. An understanding family- there will come a time when your kitchen table will be covered in axolotls, and they will be holding one (or two or three or four or five...). Best to make sure you've got one (I'm lucky my mum's accepted I'm not giving up on the axoholicism, as she was the one holding the scissors when we were treating one of mine last night...)

10. Hope- There will be times when things will go crazy- your ammonia cycle will crash, there will be a few axie illnesses, snails will invade your tank, the power will go out for days... But just have the knowledge that we'll all be here for you when things go south, and we'll be more than ready to help you as best we can. There will also be moments of adorkableness such as an axie watching The News with rapt attentiveness, them following you around as you move about the room (As much as they can within their tank :D, them begging for food (Even if its your dinner...). I hope you get to cherish a hundred thousand of those moments, and you get many many years of enjoyment out of inviting these peculiar little creatures into your life <3
Welcome to the axoholics!

GraemeB

Reaction score
Thanks Caitie for the advise! The last paragraph made me laugh at points. Thanks to everyone for all the advise actually and welcoming me to this forum! :)

hdonahue

Reaction score
My list is:
  • 'play sand'- rinse rinse and rinse some more:D
  • filter- i have a cheapie 10 gallon filter with adjustible flow (strong currents as you may know stress the axolotls and can make them sick) I find this low flow keeps that yucky oily film from forming on the top and also oxygenates the tank. (I have a 20 gallon long tank)
  • Filter cartridges to go along with your filter:p
  • 40 gallon - You may want to go up to a 40 gallon breeder for two auxies, espically if they have not grown up with one another.
  • Aerator- I feel they are an excellent idea. These guys do have reudamentay lungs but prefer to use gills and the more oxygen in the water the easier to breathe. Remember the smaller the bubble the more oxygen. I like the 'fizz' aerators (finer bubbles).
  • 5 gallon bucket - use for the 20 -30% water changed you will be making each week :D
  • gravel vaccum - use for poo cleaning and general water changes
  • turkey baster - spot cleaning
  • EARTHWORMS - these are your staple diet for auxies, you can supplement with bloodworms and pellets every so often
  • lots of hides - the tile idea is a great idea (remember no sharp edges like you said and let the creations set out for 48 hours or more as laalflaach mentioned earlier)
  • Big soft aquarium net - to catch your axie if need be
  • Floating or digital thermometer - most of us feel that the strip ones you mount on the tank dont read correctly
  • Water conditioner - gets rid of the nasty stuff in tap water
  • shoe box size plastic tub with locking lid- incase you need to redo the tank or a fridging
  • Aquarium salt- this is used if a fungus appears. It does NOT go into the tank like you do for fish, this is just a precautionary item like the box.
  • Freshwater Master test kit- if something goes wrong, you need to know what's wrong with your water chemistry, also check with weekly water changes.
    --Have you read about cycling your tank?
  • Fake or real plants if you like
  • NO light- auxies evolved in two deep lakes where very little light reaches and they have no eyelids to protect the sensitive organs.
  • Tank cover - These guys are escape artists:nono: make sure you have some kind of cover that they cannot push up and get out. I have a screen top with clamps to allow for evaporation (hence cooling).
Thats all I can think of at the moment. If I remember anything else I'll edit this post.
Welcome to the forum! Have fun with your new buddies!! They are amazing creatures :grin:

I also wanted to add a thank you and give credit to other post on this thread

Last edited:

GraemeB

Reaction score
Once again, thanks for the info. Can't wait to pick my little guys up, still thinking about names though.. :S

madink

Reaction score
Hi Caitie, saw you know a vet for axies & you are in Sydney - what is their name?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1