Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

New Axy owner to be! Lots of questions!

AnnieBirdy

Reaction score
Hello everybody, Im Annie, and Im preparing to adopt my very first axolorl, hence why I am here :)
I have got so far a 90 litre aquarium, water treatments, some stuff to wash his/her toys in (toys as in plants, caves, large pebbles etc, none of which I have got yet because I need to check with experienced people the best things to buy my new friend to be)
Ok, my questions are (for now, lol, I know there'll be more come to mind!)

Will my friend prefer plastic plants with soft leaves/flowers etc, or real plants, or a mixture?

How will I know if the gurrent from the built in internal filter is to strong for him/her?

How cold is too cold?

How warm is too warm?

Will he/she enjoy a nice tasty fresh worm from the garden, or could he/she catch something unpleasant from that?

What is a lovely tasty treat?

What are the very very best things I can feed him/her?

Safe sand or large pebbles for his 'carpet, or, as one site suggested, astro-turf?

I believe these sweet creatures do not like bright light, is it possible to get coloured hoodlights that will be gentle on his/her little eyes and not cause him/her stress or discomfort?

Will he/she be glad of an airiator, and the best place to put it in tank if so?

What should I have in his very own personal first aid box?

Will he be happy on his own, as I heard they can scrap a bit, but I dont want hium to be lonely or bored.

I think thats about it for now, and I really hope you dont mind me asking so many questions in one post, especially my first post! It's just that I believe so strongly in the saying ''First, do no harm!'' I want to give my little friend the very best care I can, cause him/her no stress or misery, and simply ensure that his/her life is the best it can possibly be.
Im really, really sorry if Im being a nuicanse! :eek:
Warm regards to all,
Annie

weofui

Reaction score
Welcome, Annie!

You may want to start out by reading through Axolotls: The Fascinating Mexican Axolotl and the Tiger Salamander, which addresses many of your questions.

In regard to plants: I don't know that axies have much of a preference between plastic or real, though I've seen a great many humans that prefer plastic simply because they're easier to maintain. If you choose plastic plants, do make sure there aren't any loose bits that might come free and get swallowed. Personally, I'm fond of live plants... but I also have the funds to replace plants the axies might have a bit too much fun with. My axies seem especially fond of their moss balls, both for climbing on and pushing about. There's a good list of safe live plants here: Axolotl Sanctuary

You've definitely come to the right place - I'm fairly new to axies myself, and this forum has been a HUGE help.

How big is the axie you'll be adopting?

AnnieBirdy

Reaction score
Thankyou Weofui! I will read the articles you suggested :) I have no idea how big my axolotl will be, havent really started looking properly yet, been more concerned with ensuring his home is set up nicely. If possible, Id like to find a lab that has them for experimentation and research, and ask if they will allow me to have one that has 'served its purpose' so to speak. Id love to give a home to a little lotl in more 'deserving' circumstances, or even find somewhere that has an axolotl sanctuary or adopt one that has lost its 'novelty' value for its owners and give a needy lotty a second chance :)

weofui

Reaction score
The answers to some of your questions will depend on the size of the axie you adopt, but I'm confident you'll be able to sort it out between the forums and articles. I really do admire your desire to rescue an axie in need of a "second chance", you may want to scan through the Sick Axolotl? forum to familiarize yourself with some of the more common ailments that result from improper treatment. Also, if you're unable to locate an adoptable axie from a laboratory or sanctuary, know that most pet stores seem to house their axies in deplorable conditions - acquiring one from a pet shop may well be considered a rescue. :)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1