Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Hello from merman

merman

Reaction score
I'm from a group of cities on the Illinois / Iowa border known as the Quad Cities.

I’m a casual hobbyist and avid conservationist. In the past I have had several newts and at one point maintained a rainforest tree frog enclosure. Most recently, however, I had a rescued paramesotriton hongkongensis for over 15 years. He finally succumbed to newt bloat which was sad but he did have a nice long life as a (most likely) wild caught captive.

Currently, I find myself a new grandpa looking seriously at semi-retirement with an empty aquarium and a need to get connected to something salamandery (I'm sure that's a word).

Thanks to all of you for being that way also (I mean the salamandery part) and here as well.

Otterwoman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum! I know there are expos out your way, and keep an eye on the ad section here! Good luck.

Providence

Reaction score
Congrats on Grandpahood! We have two; Second extensions of our DNA ourselves. That being said, did you build your own habitats for your tree frogs? We found a California Newt and Mole Salamander in our Christmas tree this year. I am looking to create my own habitat for them.

merman

Reaction score
Thanks for congrats and bless your heart, Providence. Talk about the tree that keeps on giving!

No, I did not "build" my tree frog tank, but assembled it from a 25 gal high aquarium and a now discontinued vivarium kit which was a filtered plastic waterfall with an adjustable river gutter and partition. It took like 60 lbs of gravel to fill the land side! A lot of wasted space in the tank, I thought.

Woodland terrariums can be as simple as a plastic tub filled with a little dirt and some leaf litter cover. Put a large dish in the middle with water in it at all times. The mole sally will live under the dish and come out to hunt at night. Feed before going to bed.

Although you found them in the same place, resist the temptation to house them together. They are both voracious predators and could hurt one another in a squabble over food or simply by "test biting" (you never know if it's edible until you try). I would vote the mole sally as the most likely to attempt such a thing.

Good Luck!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!