Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

New axolotl owner help please!!

Counting

Reaction score
Hello!

I am due to pick up two axolotl soon. They are both around an inch or an inch and a bit long. They have front legs but have not grown back ones yet so still in the larvae stage. One albino and one leucistic. Hatched mid December. Largest siblings are around 2 inches with back legs. Theae guys are mid sized.

I have been researching like crazy and looking at my options. I have some experience raising small fish fry (betta, goldfish) but no direct axolotl experience. So far my plan is:

5g bare bottom.

Frozen thawed brine shrimp 2x daily (possibly hand fed with tweezers or out of a needless syringe to simulate movement to help with feeding response as they are just transitioning on to frozen.), possibly mixed with some live hatched brine shrimp. With a hope to slowly add variety with blood worms, pellets, etc.

Fan overhead of tank to keep water temp at a low enough level.

Old food cleaned out, and water changes regularly as needed (monitoring with water chem tests.)

*****Adult set up will start cycling soon (30g with sand bottom, fans, sponge filtration, hides, etc*******

Any advice or thoughts??? Words of wisdom???

Thank you in advance!

Attached is a picture of the babies selected for me.

Attachments

• received_1770210229670270.jpeg
    received_1770210229670270.jpeg
    425 KB · Views: 127

Counting

Reaction score
Individual pictures

Attachments

• received_1770207676337192.jpeg
    received_1770207676337192.jpeg
    340.1 KB · Views: 109
  • received_1770210019670291.jpeg
    received_1770210019670291.jpeg
    158 KB · Views: 102

paperpanda2345

Reaction score
As a suggestion when feeding them frozen brine shrimp, I would suggest defrosting it separately and then use forceps to wave it around their mouths. Otherwise, I would suggest doing daily water changes! They are quite the waste producing creatures.
Good Luck!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1