Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

My Axoltl is very lethargic, getting slower and head down

mbeck123

Reaction score
I don't know what is wrong with him. Water perameters are normal. I have had him for three years and he is six years old. Nothing has changed in his environment. Chiller keeps Steve at 61 degrees. I am afraid that he is going to die.

I have always fed him a few minnows/goldfish from Petco. Have they poisioned him? No skin problems.

What can I do to help him? He has been active and healthy and normal until a week ago. His major food source is pellets from the Univ. of KY axolotyl research laboratory.

Thank you for any advice. I am very upset.

Martha

DSaxolotl

Reaction score
Re: My Axolt is very lethargic, getting slower and head down

What are your "normal" water parameters? like Ammonia, PH , Nitrates and Nitrites?

Feeding feeder fish can be source of MANY diseases and infections... I highly doubt you quarantine your feeders for 1-2months prior, while doing precautionary treatments for internal/external parasites and diseases and only then offer them as food.... so at this point with the information you provided can be anything really.

mbeck123

Reaction score

Unfortunately, I didn't write the numbers down that I read from the test strip. I looked at my reference sheet listing the normal ranges and my readings were within range.

I just put him in the refrigerator following the instructions on this site. I have also completely emptied his tank, rinsing every component, and I've sworn off feader fish if he survives this.

Because I don't usually do a 100% water change, I'll go back and review the perameters that I am sure that I will find on this site.

Thank you for answering. I don't know why this has happened. Under my care he has been doing well for years.

Martha

DSaxolotl

Reaction score

Hello,

Keep in mind that since you rinsed everything ( filter including?) you probably just destroyed your biological filtration and beneficial bacteria and will have to cycle your filter/tank again.

Please read up on aquarium nitrogen cycle / cycling aquarium filters and beneficial bacteria.
This is crucial to keeping good water conditions and with that good health. As for good food JBL have axolotl pellets, so does tropical and you can also offer earth worms, blood worms, etc.

If you have any specific questions feel free to ask.

Hope he pulls from this.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1