Advise needed please

AnimalSTR

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all new here and have a question. I recently became the father of 4 baby axys, now sadly 3. One just wouldn't eat and died at about 2 weeks old. But my question is this, the older 2 are about 12 weeks now. When is appropriate to put them in an aquarium full time? I haven't done it yet for ease of feeding and water changes. Any help appreciated cheers

How big are they? I use to put mine into tanks at around 3-4 inches when they are eating and recognizing small pellets and frozen blood worm as food (otherwise your encouraging cannibalism as they are still only recognizing live food therefore will snap at tank mates). So long as the tank is cycled you shouldn't have to do many water changes.
If your feeding something messy you could put it on a plate in the tank or remove the axolotl (using the tank water the axies are in) into a tub and feed.

As they are only small you will need a low flow filter or sponge filter, and so long as your water is cycled and suitable parametres for axolotl requirements then they should be fine.

This is just how I do it, but they are fine in a tank at any stage really, its just easiest to keep them in smaller tubs when younger for the reasons you said, cleaning and feeding.

Hi thanks for the reply, when measuring do we include the tail? I'd say with tail they are about 2 - 2.5 inches, they are about 3.5 months old .The tank is waiting for them, I'm just worried about being able to get them out again to feed without distressing them. It's a big tank so lots of places to hide!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back