Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Supplies needed?

imasianotasian

Reaction score
Hello, I am quite a novice when it comes to understanding everything needed for an axolotl... so if anyone would care to help me understand the supplies needed for an ideal first axolotl tank, that'd be great .
So far I've gathered:
A tank with floor space that's at least 30cm(?) high . Or rather above the length of the axolotl.
I need a pH testing kit? I am unsure how to use them.
I may or may not need a chiller. Or does the air stone and bubble maker assist in cooling the tank as well?
A turkey baster to spot clean the tank or feed.
I have heard fine grain sand is great for the tank bottom.
Is there a specific type of living grass I could get that they enjoy or should I just get syntheticgrass...? or no grass at all? I've heard some grass is too rough and cuts them. I would also like to add other living plants for them to hide in however, I'm unsure if axolotl's mix well with live plants. Please offer suggestions if you can .

Besides that I know they need food...like nightcrawlers, other worms, possibly small fish? And beyond that, I am lost. Sorry for so many questions. I just want to make sure I'm doing:confused: this right the first time.
Also...how long should I have the tank set up and running before introducing the axolotl?:errr:

Last edited:

auntiejude

Reaction score
For 1 axie your tank needs to be about 2ft long, 18 inches wide and 15-18 inches deep.
Sand is great assuming you have an axie over 5 inches, other wise just a bare bottom until the grow.
You'll need a full water testing kit - ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, pH and hardness. Instructions are in the kit, easy to follow. You'll also need dechlorinator/water conditioner.
You'll need to read up on plants that will survive in a loe light and low temp environment. Or use fakes - either works
If your summers regularly get to 30C you'd do well to invest in a chiller. Otherwise a fan should suffice. Airstones don't cool a tank.
For food worms are best, feeder fish need to be quarantine and only given very occasionally. Cherry or river (ghost) shrimp are a great 'enrichment' food for them to chase. You can also include pellets, fresh raw molluscs or white fish occasionally, maggots/waxworms or other insects such as small crickets.

You need to cycle your tank (look it up) and that can take anything from 3 to 8 weeks depending on your method and specifics.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!