Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Axolotl baby not growing...?

BreeHowland

Reaction score
Hey all!

So after Chomper's accidental foray into my friends female tank, I have eggs.
All the babies are hatched, growing like adorable little weeds and growing their front legs.

All except one.

This little one... honestly, I don't know what to do. He's been separated from everyone for a while and still no growth.

(For the pictures.. the one with two lotl babies is the tiny one + a regular baby. Picture was taken about two weeks ago before the separation. The picture with just the tiny baby was taken today and the other baby lotl is one of the midsized siblings for comparison.)

Attachments

• 20191105_023417.jpg
    20191105_023417.jpg
    189 KB · Views: 308
  • 20191028_033054.jpg
    20191028_033054.jpg
    216.4 KB · Views: 219
  • 20191105_023521.jpg
    20191105_023521.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 283

Otterwoman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
In any large bunch of eggs, in nature, the weaker ones would not survive. Even if you pampered it into growing some, it might suddenly die when it's not very old.

BreeHowland

Reaction score
So essentially just feed him and see what happens?

My biggest worry is just that he's suffering. I don't want to cull him if he has a chance, but I also don't want him to starve to death/suffer

Otterwoman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
If you are up for culling him, I would say go ahead. If you want to give him a chance, that is also a fine decision. I don't know if he would be suffering.
Sorry I can't be more help, I guess I"m just trying to be moral support.

BreeHowland

Reaction score
If you are up for culling him, I would say go ahead. If you want to give him a chance, that is also a fine decision. I don't know if he would be suffering.
Sorry I can't be more help, I guess I"m just trying to be moral support.

Thank you for replying! I think I'm going to give him a little more time. His siblings are already graduating to bloodworms and I honestly don't know if he's eating.

I don't want to cull, i hate the idea of it.. even though he could be suffering/could be really weak and have health problems later on. :(

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!