Question: Weird PH levels?

AstroDreamer

Reaction score
Country
New Zealand
I came across a discovery today with my axolotl's tank today involving PH levels. The PH where I live is a bit acidic (around 6.0 PH) so Every times I add new water to the tank I add a tiny tiny amount of baking soda. I read on here that that is a good way to slowly increase the PH levels. Today though I noticed that the surface-mid level PH is around 6.0-6.4 but at the bottom it is a lot higher. The bottom of my tank is showing a PH of 7.4. Is this something to be alarmed about and if so what should I do? I have a silica sand substrate, a few plastic plants and a fake half log hide. Would these be the cause of this?

Edit: Sorry all this was a false alarm. The PH levels are perfectly normal and it was my fault for not cleaning out the tubes used for water testing properly. To anyone concerned that I may have gotten the test liquids in the tank from the unclean tubes, I use a syringe to draw water from the tank to put in the tubes. I find it easier to get the correct volume this way

Last edited:
Glad to see your edit, I had no idea what to say hahaha!
A small bag of crushed coral is also really good at raising and maintaining pH, and you don't have to add it every water change :)

Glad to see your edit, I had no idea what to say hahaha!
A small bag of crushed coral is also really good at raising and maintaining pH, and you don't have to add it every water change :)

I have heard this a lot too. I'm not sure if there are any small bags of it sold near me and don't particularly want to buy a large bag and only use a tiny amount. Is there anywhere online that I can buy a small bag?

I just went to my local fish store (that have marine fish too) and asked for a small bag of it. They had it loose in a box and you can buy as much as you want. I then used a clean stocking/sock thing and tied it closed. You can buy small filter mesh bags which would work as well!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back