Worried...

FiJi

Reaction score
Country
Scotland
Display Name
Fiji
Hey, now I know that last time I posted it was just paranoia on my part. However, this time I think it is pretty safe to say something is wrong. My axolotl, Benvolio, is usually really active in his tank, swimming about and being nosy etc. Today however he has been really lethargic, and I've noticed skin appears to be peeling. I did a water change yesterday and noticed his activity levels seemed to decrease, and this morning he hadn't eaten his pellets (put in the tank yesterday evening). I did a water check, and while the pH levels are good (7.2ish), the amonia level is around 1.5 and nitrite is around 0.5. Temperature is at roughly 19/20 - constant.
Is there any way that would help resolve this without chemicals and stressing him more than necessary? I haven't any money at the moment and so can't buy any chemicals to rectify the levels (parents wont help out because they think "it'll all level off naturally" and can't seem to accept the fact that the chemicals are dangerous to him and it doesn't matter what I say, they're sure everything is fine- "he looks happy enough, his gills are pink"). Would increased numbers of water changes help? I'm currently performing 30% water changes every Friday.
I'd greatly appreciate any advice, thanks in advance!

Last edited:
From what I've read, adding any chemicals is a bad idea anyway. Your water temp is a little high, but not terrible.

Things should level out naturally if your tank is properly cycled, and well maintained. As a precaution I would do small daily water changes, maybe 10%, until your water parameters settle down.

Hi Fiji,

As Phil said, more frequent small water changes will be a good start. If you have a filter, you can incorporate chemical filtration (use of zeolite and activated carbon) to help absorb harmful ammonia. Live plants too can can also help buffer against ammonia spikes. Most importantly, ensure that the tank is not overstocked (too many axies, feeder fish), and that you siphon up detritus and uneaten food regularly.

Are you dechlorinating the water you are putting into the tank?

Hey,
I know the temperature is a little high, for some strange reason, Scotland has been warm recently, making it a little more difficult than usual to keep the temp down. (that isn't meant to sound rude, even though it does) The tank isn't overcrowded, it's Benvolio on his own, and I try to get as much uneaten food and waste out as is possible. I've been using Tanksafe with some of the water changes, to increase good bacteria and reduce the amonia, nitrite and chlorine. Also, while I use tap water, it's been agitated (by putting the tap on at a hugh pressure level), then stored over night to reduce chlorine levels.

Thanks for the advice, it's really appreciated.

Hey fiji

I had a similar problem and the only way i got it to cure itself was to move my axy to a temporary tank, and then completely clean the tank removing all the gravel etc to make sure i removed all the uneaten and rotting worms, bloodworms etc, and now the tank it as health as ever and my axy is up to her usual tricks. Whether this was the right thing to do or not I dont know, because my problem happened before I joined this forum, so was unable to get any advice from other reptile/amphibian owners. I do hope it clears up soon

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back