Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Question: Re-feeding a skinny axolotl

greentea

Reaction score
I noticed that my axolotl had been systematically been getting thinner, until last weekend where I realised that she was hideously underweight. I had up to that point been feeding her small earthworms every few days. I have since changed her diet to frozen bloodworm cubes which she LOVES but I am wondering whether my attempts to fatten her up again might be dangerous:
I gave her two cubes on Sunday, 1 on Monday and 1 today. Is that too much too quickly? And how often should I be feeding her anyway?
I also have another question, is it bad if she swallows the cube while still frozen?

Thanks in advance for your help!!
mel

blueberlin

2010 Research Grant Donor
Reaction score
Hi Mel,

If your axolotl is getting thinner and thinner, you may want to take her to a vet to rule out any kind of bacterial infection or organ troubles. If she has some sort of disease, you might have difficulty resolving the problem without medications.

I don't think it's harmful if an axolotl accidentally swallows a cube once. In general, though, it is best first to defrost the food and rinse it very briefly with freshwater to get rid of any gunk in the ice water.

Good luck to you,

-Eva

Kerry1968

Reaction score
I believe for putting weight on an axie, earthworms are better. They are certainly more nutritionally complete than bloodworms.

Darkmaverick

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Ask your vet to test a sample of fresh axie poo for parasites. It is called a faecal floatation test. Intestinal worms can cause gradual weight loss despite the axie feeding properly. They are very easy to treat and would have quite good results after.

greentea

Reaction score
Thanks so much for your responses
I'm wondering, is there any way to find out if she has parasites, etc, without going to the vet? At the moment, vet fees are way outside my budget :(

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1