Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Red patch/Trauma/Haemorrhage?

Crysta

Reaction score
I recently took this axolotl off an acquaintance, (someone who happened to know I liked amphibians alot, and kept some) He said he didn't know how to look after it properly and didn't think that it was fair.

Right now I've got it in the quarantine tank because it has a someone dark patch on it's body. (internal) I haven't had any sort of problems like this with axies before. she/he is only young and about 2.5"-3"

I don't have a clue what kindof things he 'didn't know how to do properly' I'm guessing handling though, and this might be trauma, it doesn't seem like red leg, also he/she is eating very well, and not at all lethargic, also she/he doesn't seem stressed in the slightest, but this patch is worrying me, however it does seem alittle smaller than it did yesterday.

I've checked the water, it's fine and my temp is 19dC atm.
I've provided a picture, but it's not very good.
DSCF2995.jpg

(Also I don't know if it'll work, i'm not the best with computers)
and help or input would be greatly appreciated, because I'm quite worried.

Bellabelloo

Julia
Staff member
Reaction score
Do you know what this little axolotl has been fed ? Brine shrimp will show up like this after being eaten.
However do keep a close eye on this, keep the water cool and clean.

Crysta

Reaction score
The guy told me he was using meal worms *sigh* and brine shrimp. I fed some chopped up earthworm earlier, and it had no problem gobbling that up. I'll keep that in mind about brine shrimp, because It's one of my favourite live foods to feed.

Hopefully that's what it is then, I always think the worst of things like this. I will, thank you.

melfly

Reaction score
Do you mean the red patch going from behind his front legs?
This is just its heart or liver. (well some internal organ)
Its only visable because he is a baby and his skin is seethrough.
Once he gets bigger his body will colour up and you wont see it anymore.

Hope thats the bit your referring to

Mel

oceanblue

Reaction score
This red patch is normal, it is not heart, you can see that beating if you look underneath high in the chest, almost in the neck. It is usually left sided (although I have had one larva which it was on the right) and my guess is this is spleen.

dragonlady

Reaction score
Glad you are being so observant! Everybody's right in that this is normal and as he/she gets older, it will become less apparent. You could even see the little intestines in my albino juvie - kind of cool, but kind of gross at the same time! lol Take care and good luck with your little cutie!

He looks big enough to try frozen bloodworms and some chopped nightcrawlers.

Crysta

Reaction score
Yep, tried some frozen bloodworms today, and he/she had them straight off the tweezers before I was half way down the water.

Never had an axie this young, I think I just worry about absolutely everything :) thank you for all the input guys! and thanks for the luck :)

Also thanks for the relief.

Last edited:
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1