Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Sad day. Lost an axie.

hacelepues

Reaction score
I came home from work today to find one of my axies floating lifelessly at the top of the tank. The other two were just swimming along the bottom, minding their own business.

I took him out with the net and inspected him (partially hoping that he'd suddenly start squirming again), and couldn't find anything wrong with him really. All legs, gills, and fins were intact. No fungus, no cuts that I could see, but I did notice one little thing. He was a golden, and around 3 inches, so quite transparent. Inside his head, around the area where I think his brain is, were two noticable red dots of different sizes that I hadn't seen before. The little veins in his body were also extremely prominent.
I don't know if this could point towards the cause? I'm worried about my other two axies.

He had looked perfect in the morning, and when I came home he was dead :(
I took him out, did a cleaning/water change, and fed the other two. They ate normally, seem fine, but then again, so did Julio.

I took pictures while I was inspecting him, and if anyone thinks that seeing them will help them get a better idea of what I'm describing then let me know and I'll post them. I just want to make sure that people WANT to see them instead of just putting up pictures of a dead axie that some may not want to stumble upon.

I'm keeping a close eye on my other two. I don't think I could loose another :(

Loobylou

Reaction score
From looking at my babies, I imagine the red dots inside the head are blood vessels. If as you say his other veins are more prominant than usual, that might why they are easier to see. With sudden deaths, especially in littleuns it's usually attributed to genetic abnormalities, (at least that's what I've been told).

If you think it may be something sinister post a picture for one of the experts to look at, especially if you think it's something like an infection that can harm your other axolotls. Stuff peoples sensibilities, they don't have to look!

memojo1979

Reaction score
From looking at my babies, I imagine the red dots inside the head are blood vessels. If as you say his other veins are more prominant than usual, that might why they are easier to see. With sudden deaths, especially in littleuns it's usually attributed to genetic abnormalities, (at least that's what I've been told).

If you think it may be something sinister post a picture for one of the experts to look at, especially if you think it's something like an infection that can harm your other axolotls. Stuff peoples sensibilities, they don't have to look!

You could always add a warning to the thread title, saying there are photos. Then it's up to the individuals to choose whether to see the photos or not + no-one will get any nasty surprises ;)

pookiewn

Reaction score
I'm sorry for your loss. Unfortunately can't add any input as only had axies a few weeks and still learning. But didn't want to read and run :(

elninca

Reaction score
I am so sorry Hacelepues. :( That is really really sad :( I hope nothing happens to the other two and that they live until they're 25 or 30... or any ridiculously long time really.
Good luck xxx Inca and I are thinking of you. :love:

hacelepues

Reaction score
Ok here are some pictures. The quality isn't super since I didn't really want to SLR so I just took them with my phone.
I'm so sad :(

L6b61.jpg

Bottom
9qQFs.jpg

The other two seem to be doing fine. I'm also curious if cytobacteria could cause this? There is some sand in my tank turning black. I'm not sure why since I clean up any poop and food when it hits the ground. I had been removing it little by little whenever I cleaned up other things, but today I decided I'm going to put Sagan and Bowie in some tupperware as soon as I get back from work and siphon as much as I can out and then mix the sand. Then I want to do a BIG water change. Maybe 50%. I'm just so worried that I might loose them too.
I had a dream last night that I had found Sagan dead :/ So I woke up, turned on the lights, and searched the tank until I found him.
This is stressing me out! I just wish I knew why it happened.
The only difference I could see between Julio and the other two is that they'd swim around the tank a lot while Julio has always been very very still. He'd rarely swim to the top to beg for food like the others although he had a big appetite.

Last edited:

Emubaz

Reaction score
Awww Hacelepues, I'm so sorry you lost poor Julio! :sad:
He was such a beautiful Axolotl!!

I hope you find out what caused his passing to put your mind at rest with the other two axies. If the other two are fine and the only marks on Julio were the red spots and veins then I would be inclined to agree and say it was probably a genetic abnormality.

Sympathies to you my new Axy Friend! :(

hacelepues

Reaction score
Thank you everyone for your ideas and sympathy. I am hoping that maybe it was just a genetic thing? The spots make me think he might've hemorrhaged.

I was planning on getting another axie in maybe six months time... but now I guess I'll be getting two.

Any ideas on the black sand?

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Sorry for your loss. It always sucks to lose animals.

The black sand is probably hydrogen sulfide. That can be deadly. Gas bubbles can build up in the sand, and when the burst (and head toward the surface), any little axolotl in its path will probably just drop dead.

The best way to combat that is to have just a thin-thin layer of sand, less than 1/2 inch or so. Stir it frequently.

But since you have black sand now, take your axolotls out, and put them in a tub. Remove the bulk of the sand, so its at the appropriate depth. Stir it up a lot, and then do a big water change, 50% or so. Smell it. Hydrogen sufide has a distinct rotten egg smell.

hacelepues

Reaction score
Sorry for your loss. It always sucks to lose animals.

The black sand is probably hydrogen sulfide. That can be deadly. Gas bubbles can build up in the sand, and when the burst (and head toward the surface), any little axolotl in its path will probably just drop dead.

The best way to combat that is to have just a thin-thin layer of sand, less than 1/2 inch or so. Stir it frequently.

But since you have black sand now, take your axolotls out, and put them in a tub. Remove the bulk of the sand, so its at the appropriate depth. Stir it up a lot, and then do a big water change, 50% or so. Smell it. Hydrogen sufide has a distinct rotten egg smell.

Thanks Kaysie. This is exactly what I was planning on doing, good to know I had the right plan in mind. I have smelled it when removing tiny bits over the past few days and it REEKS.

I'll be doing this as soon as I get home.

memojo1979

Reaction score
Can't believe I forgot to add my condolances :eek:
Sorry you lost your lovely little guy - take courage from the fact that you know you're doing your best for them all + giving them a wonderful life (even if only brief, for poor Julio)

scooty16

Reaction score
I am so sorry to hear of your loss, Julio was a beautiful axolotl with a very loving home and good owner, so sorry for your loss. :(

emz

Reaction score
Aww that is sad. Sorry to hear about your little axie its bound to make you worry more about the others when you've lost one.

hacelepues

Reaction score
I did I big clean last night. Took out my axies, fed them (noticed Sagan is actually skinnier than I'd like! I need to make him eat more), and did a big tank clean.

Scooped out the patches of black sand, stirred the remaining sand, then scooped out more sand so that the layer was much thinner.
I did a 50% water change, and rinsed any gunk off of all their ornaments in a bucket of their old water.
Today they are back in their tank and seem to be doing well. Doing axolotls things, like sitting on plants.

I'm still a bit on edge and worried about them, but the serious tank clean has somewhat eased my mind.

I also have some ghost shrimp in quarantine right now hoping to add them once they procreate a little for cleaning help and axie snakcs.

Last edited:
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!