Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Illness/Sickness: Bad floating once again

hacelepues

Reaction score
If you missed my original thread, here is the link: http://www.caudata.org/forum/f46-be...-your-help-im-afraid-i-might-loose-bowie.html

He had finally gotten better on friday night, after almost two weeks of fridging, and I warmed him up and put him back in the tank. He was fine all day saturday. I fed him ( for the first time since fridging), but only a couple of pellets since I didn't want to overwhelm him. His buddy sagan ate his normal amount. I left to visit my boyfriend and came back sunday night. Bowie was perfect then too. I was so happy to see him normal again.
This morning, I wake up, he's fine. There are a couple of poos in the tank and I clean them up. Then I come back from class just now to feed them and he is floating tail end up again, struggling to touch the floor! I don't know what to do, I don't want to put him back in the fridge again, it's so sad :(
I have him in his shallow tub though. Hoping it passes soon.
I really just don't know what's wrong with him.

Last edited:

Kenneth

Reaction score
Have you tried rubbing your little guy's sides?

blackdog

Reaction score
Have you tried rubbing your little guy's sides?

I think we should avoid touching our axies at all if we can avoid it, and i especially would not massage their sides - just my opinion.

One of my guys tail floats every now and again, usually right before a large movement.

If it's not stressed, otherwise healthy, and it's before a large movement, it's probably nothing to worry about.

Bren

Kenneth

Reaction score
Yeah you're right, I try to avoid it, but just seeing what routes you choices you have expended. Any update?

hacelepues

Reaction score
Yeah you're right, I try to avoid it, but just seeing what routes you choices you have expended. Any update?

Well he pooed today, still floaty however. And he's holding his leg funny again.
Otherwise, perfectly normal. He hasn't lost his balance like he did last time which it good.

HelloKitty

Reaction score
Hi I hope he stops floating soon. I had trouble with Athena and floating this week and he passed a bit of pet shop gravel that must have been in his tum for 6 months, then he was fine but just like Bowie he started floating again the next day. I read about massaging on here and as he is very tame and loves to sit in my hand I thought I would give it a try. I tried it the 1st time and he wouldn't let me touch there but when i tried again the 2nd time he was ok with it. Then a few hours later I noticed the biggest fattest poop I have ever seen in the axie tank and one very grounded Athena! I guessed it can't possibly have come from dainty little aristotle as her poops are more lady like.

So if the axie is tame it might be worth a try to help things along. There's been no floating today and he looks very happy. so happy he decided to try and eat the vacume bag when I was hoovering the tank!

Kenneth

Reaction score
Is he still floating with his tail up or is his entire body floating? Mine likes to float quite a bit, she does not have trouble going down (she spends about as much time down as she does up), she likes the plants up there. Does Bowie seem to be struggling still? Speaking of leg holding I saw mine doing that this very morning for a few seconds, first time ever, I do not know what it means.

hacelepues

Reaction score
Is he still floating with his tail up or is his entire body floating? Mine likes to float quite a bit, she does not have trouble going down (she spends about as much time down as she does up), she likes the plants up there. Does Bowie seem to be struggling still? Speaking of leg holding I saw mine doing that this very morning for a few seconds, first time ever, I do not know what it means.

Well it was tail up floating. He's not anymore, but I've been keeping him in the tupperware (but not fridged) because I noticed in the last couple of his poos that they've been almost entirely sand!
I'm not sure why he's been eating sand, and how he ate so much seeing I have barely enough in there to cover the ground, but I think that's been what's causing the issue.

So I'm just waiting until there is no more sand appearing, and then I'll put him back in the tank. I'm not fringing him thought because he doesn't seem to need it, and that was a really stressful process for both of us.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!