Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Novice C.orientalis Care/Setup/Feeding

InsolitusMundus

Reaction score
I'v had my little firebelly, Chester, since 2007 and he's had a very roughly run of it. I got him as a young teen with no real idea of how to look after the poor thing and only receive horrible advice from the local dobbie garden centre where he came from. Who gave me the only frozen blood worms to feed him on every 4-5 days(not wonder he's small!), a strongly current filter, a heater and advice on mixing him with paddletails!
I orginally had four, didn't have any idea they would've been WC, they weren't in best condition and in the next year(after a traumatic introduction of two paddletails into a small tank - who were quickly moved after a little internet search on mixing, still lost one due to the size of the tank) I was left only with Chester and the paddletail for a few years.
I'v had him for so long and never really questioned his setup seeing as he's survived and recently his tank got moved round so it was in my room and right in my view, watching him made me think to look up some more care. I feel completely ignorant about it - he deserves a lot better.

So today I'v off to the pet shop to get a corner filter, sand, live plants and a pH test - get rid of the horriblely brightly coloured stones and increase the water level. I'v recently started feeding him small crickets and mealworms(both with tweezers and the later when they are soft and white) also gave him some little grey slugs yesterday. The difference the food makes is amazing, he's so much more active and chubby looking. Sure hope I can give him a better set-up, makes me sad to think he's been holding on in that crappy, filterless these days, tank for so long.

So the crux here, if that wall of text puts you off, advice please! Anything with that plan seem flawed? I understand mealworms aren't great but I think the variety is worth it, I'm gonna dig him some worms soon and I'm currently unable to get hold of live little worms like blood and black. Plenty slaters in my garden, they good for a firebelly(assume chopped up and fed by tweezers) - what else is good?
Any other care comment is greatly appreciated, I know I'v done it wrong for so long but he's clearly a fighter and I'm hoping to give him better - will post pics of new setup.

InsolitusMundus

Reaction score
Thanks Julia - that website is where I got most of my current information from, totally fantastic resource. Defo a chinese too.

AngieD

Reaction score
I wouldn't recommend slugs, some species have been known to carry toxins.
There's not really much difference between frozen and live bloodworms - if he'll eat frozen, it's probably best to keep him on that rather than switching to live - I have to use live for my paddletails, and it's nothing but trouble (not to mention the fact that they reek).
You probably already know this, but don't have a filter that creates a current, firebellies hate it and usually spend all of their time out of the water if there's a current (whereas paddletails love currents).

Sorry if this seems a bit rambly, and congratulations on keeping the little guy alive after that traumatic pet shop start to captive life!

Azhael

Site Contributor
Reaction score
I would also insist on avoiding the use of a filter, too. You can substitute its function by having lots of plants. Exactly the same effect, but with no currents or heat generation. To make things better, these newts absolutely love hanging out in dense areas of vegetation.
If you are going to use mealworms, try to use only those that have recently molted. Still, there are plenty of superior choices to be offered.

InsolitusMundus

Reaction score
The filter I'v got is a small corner/box filter that creates very little current, it is driven by an air pump so generates little to no heat. I use a siphon and in a little tank like mine that removes a lot of water without trying, so I'd rather have a filter to keep things clean in the short term then keep replacing large-ish amounts of water. But point taken, I'v put it behind a rock is block any current it could create and put it at the opposite side to his fav hide out.
I bought some plants from the pet shop today, I have very little knowledge on tank plants and they aren't labeled but I bought three including a bushier looking one so I hope that will make him more comfortable.
As for food, what would you recomend? I'v heard plenty people talk about earthworms and I'm pretty sure I should be able to dig some up for him. Would a diet of bloodworms(frozen), earthworms and mealworms be good for him? and would it be good to feed him chopped woodlice?

obicat

Reaction score
All my aquatic newts do well on a mix of daphnia, occasionally live blood worm, frozen and pellets if they will take them. I did try earth worms but I couldnt source any small enough and cutting them up made me want to cry and throw up :eek:

Niels D

Reaction score
I've got a water pump in my tank, but it tosses it's water in a floating bowl, which prevents a strong current. In this bowl I keep my tubifex good for several weeks if needed. I've got over 200 eggs this year, so I don't think the pump causes any troubles this way.

I'm feeding them small earthworms from my culture. Occasionally I find one feasting on the tubifex in the bowl though. Sometimes I offer them blood worms and daphnia as well.

Azhael

Site Contributor
Reaction score
That kind of filtration shouldn´t be a problem. Still, i´d highly recommend considering a larger tank in the future to dispense with filtration alltogether. While it´s perhaps largely a matter of individual preference i sincerely believe it makes things much, much easier (and much more stable). I don´t think you´d regret it xD

The newt will apreciate the plants, you can depend on that. They make a very significant difference.

As for the food, earthworms can and probably should be the staple of the diet, and for variety you can offer all sorts of invertebrates. Woodlice are a very good option because they too are rich in calcium, as are any other crustaceans. You probably don´t need to chop them up, though. If you have a hard time finding suitably sized woodlice to feed your animal, you can always culture them yourself, they are quite easy and very prolific when conditions are right. I´m of the opinion that mealworms are not an interesting food option for caudates, specially when there are so many other invertebrates available. I much prefer waxworms over mealworms. Still, mealworms are not entirely disreputable so you can use them if you like. I would just caution to use them in strong moderation and as i said, preferably only freshly molted individuals.

nwmnnaturalist

Reaction score
"Trout Worms" are often my favorite worms for feeding caudates, since they come in a variety of sizes but are never too big.

Woodlice can be a good option to have in with an earthworm culture box since they do provide good nutrition for your critter, but also can help keep the soil clean and help keep the worms healthy.

Unless you 'gut-load' Waxworms (feed them a meal with some sort of supplemental food), they typically don't have a lot of nutrition. But if you plan on feeding them other live foods along with waxworms, usually that's not an issue.

It sounds like you are on your way to be a great owner! We all have to learn and grow from our experiences, and everyone can use more info. Good luck!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!